CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Intermediate Shaft

ted tcb

I've noticed a popping, creaking sound at slow speeds recently.

I took my 2001 STS into my trustworthy local mechanic.

On the hoist, he confirmed it needed a new intermediate steering shaft.

I was given a copy of a TSB showing the improved replacement shaft ... the part is $270 Cdn.

I asked about greasing the shaft, and was told there is an injection kit, but the results have proven to be poor

and shortlived.

My mechanic is a friend, and does a lot of servicing on the OPP cruisers. These shafts were squeaking on their fleet of

Chev Impalas, and he fixed quite a few of them. The OPP determined it wasn't an operational necessity, and stopped

repairing what they considered to be just a nuisance.

Basically, my guy tells me not to fix it ... save my $$ for future no brainer repairs, like alternators, starter motors, brakes, etc.

I trust him ... he refused to take payment for his inspection, and he is very thorough.

Yet, I hear of some people having this part greased. GM says its a short term solution, and the noise can re occur very quickly.

Any thoughts or advice on a cheaper solution ... I only have powertrain warranty, and the miles are 80k.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Well, I would try following your friend's advice and grease it. But I would buy the best grease possible--something that doesn't fling off and has excellent heat resistance. I would suggest taking a look at Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty grease or Lucas Red 'N' Tacky grease.

My mechanic isn't interested in greasing it ... is this something the dealer would do?

Has anyone here tried greasing the shaft, or better yet, taken pics of the process?

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

When I dropped my carriage over the last couple of weeks, I inquired about greasing the intermediate shaft from my friend who works in the service department at my local dealer. He said if it wasn't making noise let it go.. When I detached the connection to allow the carriage to drop, I noticed a tiny universal joint that appeared to be a sealed unit. My intermediate shaft on my 96 might be different than the later models. By the way, I was just going to grease it, I don't get noise.

On the other hand, on my 2002 Monte Carlo at 24,000 miles, when we bought it, it had the low speed knocking noise from the intermediate shaft, I took it in, they greased it and its been fine now for about 3 years. GM sells an intermediate shaft grease kit, my friend showed me one, it has something that looks like a hypodermic needle. Get the kit from GM if you do this.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I'm thinking the injection method is a lot cheaper than changing the shaft.

I wonder how difficult a job it is ... I'll call the dealer and get a quote on them performing the greasing.

Right now, the occasional pop sensation is a nuisance that I would love to cure.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Its easy for the dealer to do, my car was in and out in half a day. As a matter of fact it was really easy for me to do it while my carriage was down. My friend told me that once it was disconnected from the rack, to disconnect it under the dash and it will drop out, then grease it and reinstall it. I had already bit off more than I could chew, so since I had not noise, I didn't touch it..

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The intermediate shaft problem is a common GM issue. You can grease it, but the pop will return at some point. There is a TSB out there that describes the grease application and shows you how to exercise the universal joint to free it up. You have to remove the shaft from the car to do this.I've been there 3x with my 01 Suburban. Have been fortunate that the dealer has greased and exercied it the first 2X. The last time they replaced the shaft with an updated design, universal joint, and the yolk to the steering box at no cost with 86K on the truck. The last fix appears to have clinched it. Road feel at the steering wheel is good and the popping on uneven roads or speed bumps is gone.

The intermediate shaft problem is a common GM issue. You can grease it, but the pop will return at some point. There is a TSB out there that describes the grease application and shows you how to exercise the universal joint to free it up. You have to remove the shaft from the car to do this.I've been there 3x with my 01 Suburban. Have been fortunate that the dealer has greased and exercied it the first 2X. The last time they replaced the shaft with an updated design, universal joint, and the yolk to the steering box at no cost with 86K on the truck. The last fix appears to have clinched it. Road feel at the steering wheel is good and the popping on uneven roads or speed bumps is gone.

You mention no cost ... was this a goodwill gesture, or covered under extended warranty?

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Searching the net, I found this "How To" on injecting grease into the shaft.

Its a pretty good tutorial, including pictures and part numbers.

Hope this helps others with the same problem ... I just don't know if I'm comfortable in

removing the intermediate shaft from under the steering column.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11...18&t=125718

post-1542-1184301056_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Searching the net, I found this "How To" on injecting grease into the shaft.

Its a pretty good tutorial, including pictures and part numbers.

Hope this helps others with the same problem ... I just don't know if I'm comfortable in

removing the intermediate shaft from under the steering column.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11...18&t=125718

That's cool Ted, good find, that is the needle I saw...

The intermediate shaft on my 02 Seville was noisy. It took me a long time to figure out what it was. I was thinking it was the magnetic strut on the drivers side. I eventually took it in to the Caddy dealer and he said it was the intermediate shaft. It took him about 5 minutes to remove it. He greased it as per some directive and reintstalled it. The shaft was still noisy so I replaced it myself with the new and improved version. Not an easy job. Took me about an hour. Result No Noise.

You mention no cost ... was this a goodwill gesture, or covered under extended warranty?

I had record of compliant on file while the truck was under warranty for the first time. Just kept using the same dealer for consistancy. I just pushed that the fix was never completed correctly and that if they had an improved part it was obvious that they knew they had a problem. They were honorable and did the work with authorization from their regional manager.

I'd do a search on this problem you will find

1) At first GM said "just grease it" Problem returns in about 12 months

2) Then they said "Just replace it with a similar design" Problem returns in about 24 months

3) Then they said "Uhmm try this special grease" Problem returns in about 18 months

4) Last time I checked the latest and best fix is to replace the shaft with a new design... Mine had this done 4 years ago and has been fine since

My vote... If you plan to sell the car in the next 12 months grease it... Otherwise, if this bothers you, replace the shaft with the new design.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I might be seeing the beginnings of this problem on my '99 STS. The car makes a low pitched squak when the front suspension is pushed toward the driver. This would be the case when hitting speed bumps or shallow ditches in parking lots square on, but not at an angle. Would any of you suspect that the intermediate shaft is the source of this noise?

I had an issue with the shaft on my 2004 Silverado, and the grease kit helped, but it was more of a knocking or harshness that was felt in the steering wheel. The grease kit (identical to the one pictured) cured that for about 12 months after it was installed.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I might be seeing the beginnings of this problem on my '99 STS. The car makes a low pitched squak when the front suspension is pushed toward the driver. This would be the case when hitting speed bumps or shallow ditches in parking lots square on, but not at an angle. Would any of you suspect that the intermediate shaft is the source of this noise?

I had an issue with the shaft on my 2004 Silverado, and the grease kit helped, but it was more of a knocking or harshness that was felt in the steering wheel. The grease kit (identical to the one pictured) cured that for about 12 months after it was installed.

My STS had same issue, while under warranty, only made noise over speed bumps/slow corners into and out of driveway etc. Dealer fixed it without my asking while the crank position sensors were being replaced.

Archived