CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air Conditioner

bowtie123

Hi,

1999 Standard Deville.

Air conditioner problem.

Set on automatic at 60 degrees with fan on automatic.

The air conditioner blows cold.

The cabin is nowhere near 60 degrees.

The dash vents will blow air for a few minutes and then

start cycling on and off.

The air will come through the dash vents for about a minute and

then shut off for about two minutes, then come back on through

the vents for another minute. The compressor is still cycling while

this is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and have a fix?

Thanks

When you turn the temperature down to 60 degrees, it disables the temperature controls and blows plain cold air like a 1956 Oldsmobile.

According to the 1997 FSM, page 1B-4, "Cycling Clutch Orifice Tube (CCOT) Refridgeration System" rapid cycling with poor cooling performance means that the Freon is low.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When you turn the temperature down to 60 degrees, it disables the temperature controls and blows plain cold air like a 1956 Oldsmobile.

According to the 1997 FSM, page 1B-4, "Cycling Clutch Orifice Tube (CCOT) Refridgeration System" rapid cycling with poor cooling performance means that the Freon is low.

Thanks for the reply Jim,

I don't think the problem is low freon, as the compressor is still cycling.

It still does it if the temp is set to 65 or higher.

There are no trouble codes stored.

Thanks again,

The FSM says in page I cited that when the freon is low the low-pressure side of the compressor will get cold really quickly and the compressor will cycle quickly because of this.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Yes as Ranger stated check the blower. Next time the vents stop blowing air check under the hood to see if the blower is stopped by putting your hand on the blower motor. Putting the control on 60 defaults the system FAN to HIGH, so if the air thought the vents is cycling on and off its either a fan problem, connection problem or a vacuum problem. My bet is that its a fan problem.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes as Ranger stated check the blower. Next time the vents stop blowing air check under the hood to see if the blower is stopped by putting your hand on the blower motor. Putting the control on 60 defaults the system FAN to HIGH, so if the air thought the vents is cycling on and off its either a fan problem, connection problem or a vacuum problem. My bet is that its a fan problem.

If the compressor isn't cycling along with the fan, then it very much looks like the fan motor is blinking, on the way out. If the compressor is cycling quickly, he could be low on Freon too. I think that explains both symptoms.

Oh, I didnt get the impression that the compressor was cycling abnormally.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Me neither. The compressor is not synced with the fan (blower motor) in any way. The fan runs continuously. The compressor cycles on and off. The length of the cycle depends on outside temperature (demand).

Got to watch these quickie posts. You never know what you might miss. :blink:

Thanks for the information.

Probably is the blower motor.

When I brought this car in early 2002, I had the dealer run a warranty check on it.

The only warranty service that had been done was for a new blower motor which

was installed about a month before I brought the car.

I was going to sell it but decided to keep it a few more years as it is probably the

most trouble free car I have ever owned. In the 5 years+ I have owned it I have

never set a trouble code and have only replaced the front brakes and battery.

I decided to replace the rear brakes, belts, tires and all the fluids and filters.

I knew the problems would start after I did this.

It looks like the blower motor is something I can do but the motor is not cheap.

Thanks again to all that replied.

Archived