CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New to the caddy world

lorenjr

Hello all. I am new to the cadillac line. A co-worker of mine just moved to oregon from minnesota and left me his 93 deville with 212000 miles on it. It has the 4.9 engine in it. I was just wondering if there is anything i should do to an engine with this many miles on it to keep it running good. I have noticed a light tapping in the valves i believe and the water pump is shot. How much fun is it to swap a water pump? oh and another thing. my service sss light and anti lock light is on. what is sss? and what can i check for on the anti lock?

Welcome to CaddyInfo.com; glad you found the site.

That sounds like a nice way to get a Deville! Your Cadillac has onboard diagnostics, so it can tell you more about what is wrong. Please check the info here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html and report back what codes you find.

In general for any new used car I would change the oil, coolant, and perhaps at that mileage the brake fluid and transmission fluid. There are is a lot of shared knowledge here, so just be patient and work through each problem and you should be able to get some miles out of your Cadillac.

SSS=speed sensitive suspension.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Welcome.

For the "anti lock" (ABS) check the wheel speed sensor connections on the back side of each hub for a clean tight connection. If they are good, run a continuity check on each sensor. Might be a bad sensor which is integral to the hub & bearing assembly.

the only code that i can see it has is e52 since the battery was dead when i got the car. right now i am in the middle changing the water pump but only have an hour or 2 a day to work on it. i will check all the wheel sensors after i am done with that.

The factory shop manual, distributed by Helms http://www.helminc.com is the best to the extent that it is the ONLY manual I recommend that you get. It is the shop manual, which means that it is the one the factory makes available to dealer techs.

There is not a 'regular' problem with SSS, except the normal sort of problem that after so many miles the shocks/stuts likely need to be replaced.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce is right. Don't waste your money on any other manual. Ebay is your friend.

good to know :rolleyes:

ok so i got my water pump on yesterday. thank god for gear wrenches. how do i get all the codes from the ecm and everything. all i can get is e52. is there some way to scroll through them

• 1 month later...

Archived