CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant pressure tester

jcobz28

Wrapping up my 7 month timesert project here... :blink: I would like to pressure check the cooling system prior to having everything 100% assembled and firing it up for real to see if all holds. I think it would be easier to listen and see leaks if I were to fill the cooling system and pressure check it with the car off. I can't think of any logical reason that would prevent me from doing this, but just figure I would ask the brains of this board first!

I would rent one of the coolant pressure testers from Autozone. They screw onto the coolant resevoir in place of the pressure cap, and you pump up the system to whatever PSI the cap is rated at (like 15 psi or so), and *pray* it holds the pressure. If not, I should hear/see the coolant leak. I will also keep my drain plug on my oil pan open incase god has forsaken me and there is something wrong with the headgasket sealing, then I should see coolant leak out of the oil pan drain.

Does this make sense? Is it a good idea? Safe?

Thanks,

Jacob

You certainly cannot damage anything with 15 psi air pressure.

But that 15 psi will not yield conclusive results as far as the head gasket seal is concerned. Consider that compression stroke pressure can approach or exceed 10 times your 15 psi.

And with the engine off, your water pump is not spinning and there will be zero hydraulic pressure present.

Bolt it all together and light the fire.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

As long as you followed the proper procedures in Timeserting the engine, it will be fine. There is a step in the manual that directs you to disconnect a plug on the ignition control module so the engine will not start and crank the engine for the specified amount of time to prime the engine. After that, plug in the ICM and start it up.

When I repaired my engine, I noticed a lot of smoke from the engine compartment - it was just all the thread cutting oil burning off the side of the engine block as it heated up. It did make me nervous and I did have a fire extinguisher close by.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE and Zonie bring up a good point, unhook the Ign. Module and crank it for 15-45 seconds before you fire it to prime the oil pump.

Joe

When I did my Timeserts I removed, dis-assembled the oil pump and stuffed it full of petrolem jelly as a prime. Worked fine on restart (did the same with numerous Alfa and Jaguar motors over the years).

I did that as well but it is probably not necessary - the oil pump primes itself every time the engine is started. A reputable source was surprised that the note was still in the service manuals...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived