CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Nissan warns U.S. cell phones can disable car keys

Nissan warns U.S. cell phones can disable car keys

Reuters

May 25, 2007 (Reuters) Nissan North America has a warning for customers: Placing your electronic key too close to your cell phone could leave you stranded.

The automaker is asking customers driving new models of two of its flagship sedans to keep their car keys and cell phones at least an inch apart to avoid disabling the "intelligent keys."

Cell phones kept near Nissan's I-Keys -- wireless devices designed to allow drivers to enter and start their cars at the push of a button -- can erase the electronic code on the keys, rendering them unable to unlock or start the cars.

The problem has occurred on the 2007 Nissan Altima and Infiniti G35 sedans -- two of Nissan's top-selling models, the company said yesterday.

"We discovered that if the I-Key touches a cell phone, outgoing or incoming calls have the potential to alter the electronic code inside the I-Key," Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore said.

"The car won't start, and the I-Key cannot be reprogrammed," he added.

The problem has occurred in a "very small percentage" of cars sold, Bazemore said. He also said a new version of the I-Key would be available in the fall.

Bazemore said current owners have been notified of the potential glitch via mail and can get new keys from dealers if they encounter the problem.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Bazemore said current owners have been notified of the potential glitch via mail and can get new keys from dealers if they encounter the problem.

Am I reading this right? You can get new keys from the dealer, but only *after* you've been stranded?

I'd want spare keys RIGHT NOW while I await the phone proof key due in the fall.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Am I reading this right? You can get new keys from the dealer, but only *after* you've been stranded?

I'd want spare keys RIGHT NOW while I await the phone proof key due in the fall.

Regards,

Warren

Yep, you can get new keys from the dealer IF you encounter the problem. Amazing huh? Those cars are not cheap but apparently Nissan is.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

They're not very careful about EMI, either. Compatibility with cell phones in the same pocket or on the same keyring is a no-brainer. If GM ever made a blunder like that we would all be pretty upset.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm trying NOT to be sexist here, but it's far more likely to be a problem for a woman than a man (I think).

A guy will carry his I-Key in his wallet while his cell phone will probably be on his hip; almost certainly more than the required inch away from the phone. Women, however, can often construct a nursery, change a diaper, conduct business, remove and replace makeup, feed strange children and otherwise do extraordinary things with stuff packed very closely in that "dainty" bag. Having the phone come within an inch of the I-Key is almost a foregone conclusion for Superwoman.

Now I WILL be sexist for a moment: women are less likely to be "car-smart" (excepting the women on this board, of course) and no guy wants to see a female motorist in trouble. Guys, OTH, are expected to have survival gear and know how to use it. Apologies to youz geek guys. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm trying NOT to be sexist here, but it's far more likely to be a problem for a woman than a man (I think).

A guy will carry his I-Key in his wallet while his cell phone will probably be on his hip; almost certainly more than the required inch away from the phone. Women, however, can often construct a nursery, change a diaper, conduct business, remove and replace makeup, feed strange children and otherwise do extraordinary things with stuff packed very closely in that "dainty" bag. Having the phone come within an inch of the I-Key is almost a foregone conclusion for Superwoman.

Now I WILL be sexist for a moment: women are less likely to be "car-smart" (excepting the women on this board, of course) and no guy wants to see a female motorist in trouble. Guys, OTH, are expected to have survival gear and know how to use it. Apologies to youz geek guys. :P

Regards,

Warren

It's possible but every guy I know takes his cellphone and his I-key and puts them together in the center console tray :lol::P

It's possible but every guy I know takes his cellphone and his I-key and puts them together in the center console tray :lol::P

Well, I don't know about "every guy" doing that . . . I'd expect it to be the exception . . . but I do know of one guy at my workplace who does that.

On a regular basis we "break into" his car to retrieve his keys, wallet, cell phone or whatever he left there that he suddenly has a felt need for.

One of the guys at work spends his Sunday afternoons doing a (sometimes very funny) auto related talk show on a local FM radio station. He's really handy to have around for "break ins."

Just in case you're interested: http://www.motormouthradio.com . You might enjoy.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived