CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering loss

Astrak

This just started happening, whenever the engine is at idle speed or I am moving slowly I have no power steering at all. If I push the gas a little bit and get the engine RPM's up a bit then all power steering is returned. I checked the power steeing fluid level and it is fine. There is a loud clicking sound when I go to turn the steering wheel that is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, I'm totally confused on what is wrong.

It sounds like the serpentine belt is slipping on the power steering pump when you turn the wheel. The pushback torque on the power steering pump is higher at idle. You can check this by popping the hood and looking at the power steering pump while someone is turning the wheel at idle. If so, a new serpentine belt will probably fix it, or at worst a tensioner.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The belt seems to be turning everything, nothing stops turning when the wheel is turned at idle, all the pulleys are turning. Just to make sure the power steering pump is the pulley connected to where you fill the power steering fluid correct?

The belt seems to be turning everything, nothing stops turning when the wheel is turned at idle, all the pulleys are turning. Just to make sure the power steering pump is the pulley connected to where you fill the power steering fluid correct?

Yes, that would br correct.

Duff

Can you tell where the clicking sound is coming from? If the power steering pump is turning, but you have no power steering, then you have a problem within the power steering system -- most likely the pump.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Yea the clicking is coming from the pump, if I barely rev the engine say to even 1000 RPM's then I have power steering it's just when it is at idle like around 600 to 800 RPM there is no power steering. It's going into the shop some time this week for a variety of little things that I don't have time to take care of, I would just like to pinpoint the problem before it goes to the mechanic so I can tell them exactly what I want done. I don't trust any mechanic in Arizona the people around here just aren't trustworthy.

I would get a new power steering pump from RockAuto and put it on myself.

Archived