CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT: mounting a tire on a rim

Caddynut

OK...I have had it....I have a portable tire changer from Harbor Freight and so far, it has worked great. I got the old tire off and got the new tire on the rim, but I can't seem to get the tire up far enough where the bead is formed so it can hold air. Is there a trick to do this?

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

Wet the bead, push the tire down and while the air is going is gently lift it, that is the way I used to do it when I worked in a gas station.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I remember doing this as a "kid" when I worked for a Chevy dealer. We had a pneumatic tube that would slip around the perimeter of the tire and had an air fitting on it. When inflated it would squeeze the tire to the rim to seal the bead. Try tying a loop in the end of a rope and stretch it around the tire. Run the loose end through the loop and pull as hard as you can. That might just be enough to do it.

I had given some thought to buying one of those tire changers recently. The smaller one for my garden tractor. Ended up taking the two front tires & wheels to Goodyear and let them do it for $8 after busting my *smurf* taking the old ones off with screwdrivers & tire irons.

I will try lifting the tire again. I tried, but I could not hold the air nozzle on and lift. I will have to get some help since I don't have a locking air chuck.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2000 Ford Ranger XLT

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

just an update on a seemingly simple job that I had hell with. I ended up having my wife hold the air chuck on while I lifted up on opposite sides of the tire and presto.....pop, pop, pop and it held air. Take a look at my old tire....never have seen anything like this before. Looks like all of the belts broke and bulged the tire.

Tire_003.preview.jpg

post-457-1182206394_thumb.jpg

post-457-1182206411_thumb.jpg

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2000 Ford Ranger XLT

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD