CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Traction Control Off - Still starts out in 1st gear - 2003 STS

thu

I found out by accident that, in a 2003 Seville STS, turning the traction control off does not relegate it to 2nd gear starts. All this time that I've had this car, I assumed 2nd gear starts with TC off. I never bothered to check, but tonight I did. It *definitely* starts out in 1st gear on a WOT launch from a standing start with TC turned off.

I wonder if this is true in the 2002, 2001, or even 2000 STSs.

I wonder if this is also true in the SLSs.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

My 03 Deville starts in 1st with the TC off also......................

My 96 or moms 98 Deville both started in 2nd!

...........geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

My 02 STS also starts out in first gear with TC off. Contrary to the owner's manual that says it starts out in 2nd.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Obviously, Cadillac engineers changed their minds about the importance of disallowing first gear engagement during TC OFF operation. It would be interesting to know why.

In a "kinda related" matter, my '95 Eldorado had a wicked torque steer accompanied by a brutal tire-chirping, almost lane-changing, 1-2 shift (stick in "2nd") that I had some fun with when unsuspecting passengers were around. The '98, OTH, does not exhibit the torque steer (as much) and certainly won't chirp the tires on a 1-2 shift.

Once again, it would interest me to know why these changes were made.

In snow conditions, I liked the idea of being able to disallow first gear by placing the gear shift lever in "2nd" on Ford products. I always thought GM missed the boat on that one.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived