CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

the shakes

joeydax

Gotta agree...

That's EXACTLY what mine did... smooth up to 63 mph... 68 was the worst.. and by 75 it was gone... I could vary the "worst" speed a little with tire pressure... 25 PSI would move it down to 64... 40 PSI would move it to 72...

New tires won't help if they weren't RFB'ed properly... And "properly" includes the RFB report that will tell you how bad they were before the balance and how much better they are now...

Keep in mind the RFB does not make the tire "perfect" it only makes the best of the situation. If the tires are crap you can have a situation where the best the RFB can do is in the 20s... On the other hand you can get a RFB of zero but that is VERY rare...

Either way I'd refuse a new tire with RFB numbers greater then 10. This will solve your problem.

Rule of thumb: Cheap tires will rarely get into the single digits and expensive tires rarely get into the double digits...

My Micheline Pilot A/S RFB'ed at 2 lb, 4 lb, 6 lb and 8 lb... I watched the process and have the report in the glove box to prove it. ;) I also used this critical info to put the best two tires up front.

Don, on your new tires what were your RFB numbers? Did you get a report?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I did not have my current tires RFB. I had a previous set RFB, and it actually made the shimmy worse. I do not remember the numbers, but I do know that they were better than when I started.

But it still seems strange that my rear tires, when they were on the front, would shimmy. Now they are on the rear, and when I rotate them to the front, the shimmy will be almost gone, for a short while. Nothing about the tires makeup has changed, and the RFB numbers on the tire would be the same also. But after being off of the front for many miles, then put back on the front, it will be much better. That is what makes me believe that it is frontend related.

I hope I am being clear on this point. Sometimes when I type things, it even confuses me.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

No not at all confusing... and your post and description is still in line with a bad RFB tire... The front two tires do most of the heavy lifting supporting about 60% of the weight of the car. If you have one marginal tire (say about 12# of force) you may not feel that when its on the back... but you will feel it after a rotation to the front.

And as has been posted above a tire will RFB differently warm and used up a bit vs when its cold and brand new. And the vibration will also change with different tire pressures...

You really need to get your report...

Lets say you took in a set of half used Goodyear RSAs and had the RFB done... Before they were probably all in the 30lb range (these are some lousy tires) after the RFB the are all in the 15-18Lb range... a big improvement but you still have a vibration... and now you are convinced that RFB isn't worth a darn.... see why you need the report.

The report also will tell you the run-out of each wheel... and if a rim is totally shot.

Without the RFB numbers frim the report we are just guessing here.

And all I can say for sure is that 4 tires on my car with RFB <10lbs. solve my vibration...

For the $40-60 it will cost to have this done I would give it another go. It worked for me...

PS Make sure you get the report this time ;)

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived