CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.9 VS 4.6

Astrak

Well I've owned the SLS now for a couple weeks now, yep I fixed the coolant loss problem it was a radiator side tank thanks guys. Anyways, I'm actually really missing my old Eldo the 92 ETC I believe would totally kick the SLS's *smurf* in a race, it handled better and the OHV sure as hell made a difference. The only time I can tell this car has 275 Horsepower is if I floor it otherwise it feels fairly weak, maybe it needs a 5 or 6 speed transmission I think the 4 speed it kinda bad. Anyways I loved how the Eldo you could do all the diag with the IPC I didn't need a Tech 2 to do anything it was great, and it had that feel like it would run forever I sometimes wonder about the SLS. I like all the tech things the SLS has but the raw power of the 4.9 was definitely a better feel than the Northstar. N* is fun at WOT but any other throttle position it's not that great and to add to it the sound out of the exhaust has nothing on the 4.9, the 4.9 sounded bad *smurf* the N* I can't even hear it. I like the SLS cuz it's bad *smurf* but the 92 ETC was definitely a one of a kind car I miss it.

For the first 30 feet the 4.9L/3.33:1 final drive will do better than a 4.6L/3.11:1 final drive. After that the low-revving 4.9L and gearing run out of breath compared to the Northstar system. Either one has plenty of pickup to move the car right along. You can prolly shop early 90s ETCs though if you really want another one.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I miss my 91 4.9 also, it was a powerful engine for only 200 HP but I was always afraid of over-reving it in first and second gear and did a few times and ended up with valve train ticking for a few days.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I will have to disagree with you on the 4.9 vs 4.6. :blink: My 4.6 in my 94 Concours will run circles around the 4.9 in my wife's 92 Deville. ;) I agree that the 4.9 is a great engine with plenty of power but, it does not hold a candle to the Northstar. :o My wife noticed it immediatly when she first drove the Concours. As a matter of fact she has all but taken possession of the Concours and leaves the 92 just sitting. :angry: She does not want another car unless she has a Northstar. <_< Are you sure the throttle body and injectors are clean on your SLS? Are you sure it is tuned up good? The sound of my 94 Concours (stock mufflers) is much meaner than the 92 Deville (stock mufflers). You should also be able to access the codes on the 98 also, there are just a few more codes to deal with. Maybe the 4.9 in the ETC is set up a little different the the Devilles. :ph34r::huh:

I'm with Paul and I probably had the fastest 4.5/4.9 out there... I had the 220HP 4.5 in my 90 1/2 Allante and while that car did "move" I guarantee that my 2002 STS would give the little 2 seater a big whooping

The 4.5/4.9s are very nice.... but the N* rocks!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I am another one that loves the way the N* runs.

I have a small question for everyone with a N* that may sound stupid. If so, just ignore me. :rolleyes:

Does your N* have (more or less) 2 different power bands. Mine pulls "MUCH" stronger after passing 3000 RPM. From 3000 all the way to 6500.... it really sings. I love the SOUND of the N* ......... just in case you couldn't tell. :rolleyes: I don't mean it is a dog BELOW 3000...(it runs fine) ...but it is a whole 'nother story AFTER it passes 3000... then it runs GREAT. :rolleyes:

It feels like you suddenly give it more gas as it passes 3000.

If any of you are old enough to remember multi carb setups on big blocks .... 2x4's or 3x2's ... it is kinda like that.... after 3000, it feels like, in the old days, when the extra carbs opened and dumped extra fuel to the engine.

The other day when Bruce was driving it.... I tried to get him to STAND ON IT... but he was too much a gentleman and didn't want to abuse my car. :rolleyes: We need more nice guys in the world. :rolleyes: It would be a better place.... but thats ANOTHER subject.

So the original question......

Does "YOUR" N* do that? Only come really alive after 3000 RPM?

Jim from Texas

Posted Image

You can get the engine specs and torque/horsepower curves for all GM engines since 2004 here:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/produ...cars/index.html

This link is to the 2008 models. Click the "Previous models" link at the top of the page for 2004-2007 models.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I am another one that loves the way the N* runs.

I have a small question for everyone with a N* that may sound stupid. If so, just ignore me. :rolleyes:

Does your N* have (more or less) 2 different power bands. Mine pulls "MUCH" stronger after passing 3000 RPM. From 3000 all the way to 6500.... it really sings. I love the SOUND of the N* ......... just in case you couldn't tell. :rolleyes: I don't mean it is a dog BELOW 3000...(it runs fine) ...but it is a whole 'nother story AFTER it passes 3000... then it runs GREAT. :rolleyes:

It feels like you suddenly give it more gas as it passes 3000.

If any of you are old enough to remember multi carb setups on big blocks .... 2x4's or 3x2's ... it is kinda like that.... after 3000, it feels like, in the old days, when the extra carbs opened and dumped extra fuel to the engine.

The other day when Bruce was driving it.... I tried to get him to STAND ON IT... but he was too much a gentleman and didn't want to abuse my car. :rolleyes: We need more nice guys in the world. :rolleyes: It would be a better place.... but thats ANOTHER subject.

So the original question......

Does "YOUR" N* do that? Only come really alive after 3000 RPM?

Jim from Texas

Mine seems to do the same. Even with steady gas pedal pressure, after 3000 it keeps climbing, reminiscent of a 4bbl carburator.

Jim

I still have my '92 Seville and have owned my '01 STS for a few months now. I am a low end torque fan and you just can't beat the 4.9 for that, but it flattens out around 4,000 RPMS....that is where I do like the N* where it is just warming up at 4,000. If I could just combined the low end torque of the 4.9 and the high horsepower of the N*, I would be happy. Every engine has its good and bad.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

Archived