CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Eldorado Radiator replacement

Hello All. I am replacing the radiator in my mom's 98 ElDorado. Please give me any tips on this. Does it come out the front or will I need to take off the motor mounts? Take off the electric fans? I am an old skool car guy and have done lots to newer cars but I simply do not want to do too much in this. Anyone have access to an electronic or online manual/description of this job? Please advise as any input is greatly apprecieated. Thanks.

You're in luck, I just did mine. Very easy for an old skool guy (I'm one.) There's a thread on this process here at the forum, look for it, too.

The radiator simply comes out the top. Remove the vanity covers. After you drain the coolant and disconnect the transmission coolant lines (upper and lower drivers side) remove the upper and lower hoses. You can ease the 2 fans out to gain clearance. As I recall (could be wrong) there are just 2 bolts on the top holding the radiator in - there are slots/tabs on the bottom. It will come out the top with some wiggling.

Reverse the process for installation. DONT FORGET the sealant tablets!! ($2.00 from AutoZone etc.) Crush 2 and put them in the lower hose. This is important and GM specified. Use the correct antifreeze to a final 50% mixture.

It took me a Sat. morning to do the job.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Did mine a few weeks ago. I can't find the original thread, must have gotten lost when the website got hacked. Here are a few pointers I found that were helpful.

Remove the airbox that holds the air filter to get clean access to the tranny lines and lower hose

On the driver side there is a little nut head screw holding the AC condenser lines to the radiator. It needs to be removed and it will probably never go back!

You need to remove the brackets holding the AC condensor to the radiator and then slide them out (takes a little wiggling) before you can remove the radiator.

I you have oil cooler lines on the passenger side the lower line is possibly a quick disconnect that you will have to move the fitting from the old radiator to the new one.

Double check for O rings on the compression fittings for the transmission and the upper oil cooler lines. You might be better off replacing them with new. Only a few dollars at Advance Auto.

If your already in there might want to replace the upper and lower hose. Got mine from Advance Auto and had to trim about a 1/2 inch off 1 side of the lower hose to remove a kink.

Also might want to replace the O2 sensor. Easy to get to without a radiator and fans in the way.

Let us know how it goes :P

On the 96 the condenser is attached to it. You have to detach the condenser, remove the cooler lines, hoses, cooling fans, carefully tilt it to the rear and remove it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived