CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

El Dorado Special Edition?

Spurlee

I was walking to a store this morning an saw a very bright red El Dorado and figured the guy had it painted, so I stopped to look. He said that it was a 2001 Special Edition - apart from the custom color it had carbon fiber inserts on the dash instead of wood grain and an embedded logo that said "Special Edition" on the dash. The seats had red leather inderts - very cool looking - and there were probably some other interior doo dads.

He said the engine was bumped to 400HP and there were some other tuning changes as well, probably some suspension stuff. The wheels were nothing special.

It didn't look like aftermarket stuff to me, it had a GM-issue fit and finish.

I didn't think to take a picture with my phone, darn! :angry:

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Was he wearing a big red nose that lit up, green hair, and bells on his toes?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The 2001 Commemorative Edition came in exterior colours of white and red (it definitely looks kind of orange in person).

The rims were unique, as was the two tone leather.

The engine is the stock 300hp northstar, with a slightly different exhaust note.

The 400hp claim is bogus.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I believe they were sold as 02 models, Aztech Red is the color of the car. They are the same as an ETC except for the exhaust and the red ones get the carbon fiber trim instead of the wood grain, and there is an insert in the carbon fiber or wood grain that says collectors series #???? of 1506.

I saw one of these in the showroom at the dealer, its a cool looking car.... It had quite a premium attached to it for its special edition status

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes,it was a red-orange.

I didn't hear it run, so I don't know about the exhaust.

The carbon fiber and leather inserts looked really nice.

I wonder where he got the info. about the 400 HP engine...from the dealer I guess.

His rims didn't look special to me - maybe I didn't notice. If they were special they weren't particularly outstanding.

He said he paid a premium for the car, used.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Always "heard" the commerative edition Eldorado's had 325hp, something to do with reconfiguration of the the cams and exhaust if im not mistaken....Never could find any facts to back that up though :rolleyes:

A.J.

Archived