CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

no blower solution

I have an 89 brougham 5.oL 4bbl viny with no blower during heat and a/c. I have concluded the power module is bad. I can activate the blower at full speed by grounding the tan power wire to the blower. Can I install a switch to this wire, possibly with a speed adjuster, to control the fan blower manually? Will this damage any electronics?

I have an 89 brougham 5.oL 4bbl viny with no blower during heat and a/c. I have concluded the power module is bad. I can activate the blower at full speed by grounding the tan power wire to the blower. Can I install a switch to this wire, possibly with a speed adjuster, to control the fan blower manually? Will this damage any electronics?

Why not replace the power module? You should be able to find one in a junkyard if a new one is too expensive.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well, because a salvage item is as likely to fail as mine, since it requires a module from '89 or earlier, so it will be old and likely have many miles on it. A cheap salvage item that doesn't last is not a bargain, but making a new manual switching system might be cheap, easy and practical, providing it doesn't damage any computerized components. Does anyone have an answer?

Well, because a salvage item is as likely to fail as mine, since it requires a module from '89 or earlier, so it will be old and likely have many miles on it. A cheap salvage item that doesn't last is not a bargain, but making a new manual switching system might be cheap, easy and practical, providing it doesn't damage any computerized components. Does anyone have an answer?

Whenever I need to use a junkyard part, I find the vehicle with the lowest mileage. You seem you have your mind made up on re-engineering the fan control over buying a new module or a used module. Make sure to size your components correctly in order to avoid a "thermal event"...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would go for the salvage yard option.

In the factory they have been thinking really hard on how to set this stuff up... if they could have done it in a cheap way by just placing a speed adjuster then they would have done it. there's probably a safety reason for it.

And the salavage part will probably be from another batch then the one you currently have. other batch is mostly other components so you can't compare the life span of those parts, it could well outlive the car itself.

my 2 cents.

Marc.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

• 1 year later...

I have been all over these forums for the last 3 days trying to find out everything I can about the ac system on my 92 Cadillac Seville (not sts) The Fan blower will not work on its own. About 6 months ago, it started to blow very slow even on high. Eventually it went out. When I removed the fan blower, the motor was seized up. I replaced it. No luck on getting wind in the car. I have traced back every wire I could find, hot wired off the battery a lead straight to the fan and it works. (with a ground of course). So I replaced the Power Control module (near the fan blower) hoping that was the problem since I was getting power into the module, but nothing out. The Voltage out of the new module is like 7.94 volts on high. But that's not enough to kick the fan on I am guessing. at this point, its 10:30 at night and still 97 degrees outside. The Compressor kicks on, but if it helps, when I had the fan hot wired off the battery, the air still didn't come through the vents in the car. Seems like the arm is not allowing the duct to open correctly. Is this also related? is there anything else to try.

Archived