CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trans fluid change

flash

shall we build the wine cellars under the power lines?

check the uses out here

:lol: Did you catch these 2 Mike?

Accelerating the Aging of Wine and Liquor

This is a new one to us, but apparently, some people swear that exposing wine or liquor to strong magnetic fields accelerates the aging process. We have even seen commercial units being sold that contained our neodymium magnets. We have not experimented with this yet, but you may want to. Please drink responsibly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. Remove the trans fluid supply line at the radiator side tank. I forget if it is the top or bottom one, but someone will chime in on that. Attach a hose to it and put it in a bucket. Then start the engine and pump it out. Once it stops flowing, shut down. I forget how much it will take, but when I did my '97 Deville I used 12 or 13 qts. WITHOUT draining the converter.

==================================================================

On the older style tranny,s there was a cover over the front part of the tranny this when removed would allow access to the drain plug on the torque convertor does these cadillac,s have such a cover and drain plug does anyone know of

As far as magnets the high powered radio speakers of today usually have some big ones on them would one of those work in the pan But if a big one like that is in there it would also cut down on the amount of tranny fluid needed to fill it and a smaller amount of fluid could cause a overheat condition as well

gordon

I do not think there are any drain plugs on the converters. In fact, I am not sure if GM ever used any. Don't know why though. It would be so simple and useful.

The drain plugs on the torque converters were eliminated in the late 70s.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I do not think there are any drain plugs on the converters. In fact, I am not sure if GM ever used any. Don't know why though. It would be so simple and useful.

==========================================================

the old ones back in the 60s or 70s used the drain plugs but dont know about the newer ones or not it does make a fluid change better at least you can get more of the old stuff out that way

Funny thing the shops tell you to change it about 30 to 50,000 miles but none of the big 3 say that i know i have ran the non overdrive trannys over 100,000 with no changes in them

gordon

==========================================================

the old ones back in the 60s or 70s used the drain plugs but dont know about the newer ones or not it does make a fluid change better at least you can get more of the old stuff out that way

Funny thing the shops tell you to change it about 30 to 50,000 miles but none of the big 3 say that i know i have ran the non overdrive trannys over 100,000 with no changes in them

gordon

Shops always will tell a customer that they need to change fluid at a much earlier interval or pay for some other un-necessary service procedure that the "shop" happens to offer.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

We had a torque converter drain plug on a 64 Cadillac, I think the 59 had it also.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

We had a torque converter drain plug on a 64 Cadillac, I think the 59 had it also.
\

=================================================

i know the filter i bought says to drain the transaxle case also but it is not needed to drain the convertor IF there is a inspection plate i can remove to get to it i will drain that also i think it sure cannot hurt they used to hold about 4 qrts on their own

gordon

When you have the pan off and the fluid is drained, there is a separate plug that you need to remove in order to drain the side cover. That is where most of the fluid is stored in the 4T80E Trans. Don't waste any time looking for a torque converter drain plug - there isn't one....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The cooling line accessability to the trans fluid is great. I'm using it for(the GURU wouldn't like this) a mid cycle fluid only change. It is also the only way to go when you have to drop the pan and replace the filters and clean the magnet. Just trying to keep the "94" in one piece. Also, the OEM gasket has not leaked a drop since the second installation. I think I only replaced 7 quarts max last time I

Kent

The drain plugs on the torque converters were eliminated in the late 70s.

Agreed.

My '76 Caprice with the big block 402 and the Turbo 400 trans had one. My 1980 Sedan deVille did NOT have one. Ditto on the '84 Fleetwood Brougham deElegance. No drain plug.

Posted Image

When you have the pan off and the fluid is drained, there is a separate plug that you need to remove in order to drain the side cover. That is where most of the fluid is stored in the 4T80E Trans. Don't waste any time looking for a torque converter drain plug - there isn't one....

==========================================================\

===========================================================================Thanks

can you give me a better idea of where the transaxle plug is

i havent been under it yet to change the fluid so i havent payed much attention to that sort of thing

i know the filter directions say to install the rubber seal for the filter before installing the filter also

has anyone noticed how plugged up or dirty their filters were when removed

gordon

===========================================================================Thanks

can you give me a better idea of where the transaxle plug is

i havent been under it yet to change the fluid so i havent payed much attention to that sort of thing

i know the filter directions say to install the rubber seal for the filter before installing the filter also

has anyone noticed how plugged up or dirty their filters were when removed

gordon

==================================================================

Need to also know if you guys use a torque wrench on the bolts or can i just guess stimate the torque like i always have on these pans

Wish i would have thought to bought a inch lb wrench need one to do work on a lawnmower engine anyways i think ALSO

the panel my window switches are in on the driers side door has a broken tab holding it down any ideas where i can get a new or used one quick

thanks

gordon

There is a plug to drain the side cover?? Where would that be at about?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

============================================================

is the axle drain plug under the oil pan or on the drivers side cover or what is what i meant do not want to remove a bolt thats not for the drain and mess something up

PLEASE reply ASAP i have the pan off now and its looking like rain and i am outside doing this

gordon

============================================================

is the axle drain plug under the oil pan or on the drivers side cover or what is what i meant do not want to remove a bolt thats not for the drain and mess something up

PLEASE reply ASAP i have the pan off now and its looking like rain and i am outside doing this

gordon

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The drain plug for the side cover is accessed after the bottom pan is removed. You MUST use a torque wrench to torque the bolts to the factory spec - there is an initial, intermediate, and a final torque value - I believe they are listed in an earlier post.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

there is an initial, intermediate, and a final torque value

Boy, I don't ever recall seeing that. I know I only torqued my '97 once. I'll have to check my manual again.

Boy, I don't ever recall seeing that. I know I only torqued my '97 once. I'll have to check my manual again.

The torque values are: Initial: 27 in-lbs, Intermediate: 53 in-lbs, final: 106 in-lbs.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The torque values are: Initial: 27 in-lbs, Intermediate: 53 in-lbs, final: 106 in-lbs.

===========================================================================well i finally got it done drove it about 30 miles just now and it hasnt leaked yet any place

i did not have a inch lb wrench so i just used a 1/4 rachet and 1 hand and tightened them real good they pretty much should be about the same i figure give or take a little bit but when i removed them they all were not equal either

thanks everyone

gordon

Can RTV be put on the pan bolt threads or will that change the torque readings? I recall a thread that stated to remove the bolts clean them with brake clean then reinstall the bolts with RTV... Any Ideas?

Also does the new pan gasket go on DRY?

Mike

Archived