CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 Deville Struts in 94 STS

Hi All,

It's been quite awhile and I'm sure there are many new members. The site has changed quite a bit in a good way.

My 94 STS is getting bad and I am in need of struts. I remember a long time ago, maybe a year or two, reading posts saying I could use the deville struts in the STS with little to no modification and just have to deal with the DIC message "service ride control" which I deal with anyway at this point. Anyone remember this or have any input? I really appreciate it.

On a side note, the 67 coupe deville spun a main bearing at the end of last summer. Well, we got a 76 cadillac 500 block and are having it remanufactured. We are going to pair the 500 with a trans from a 68 Deville. I am going to get intake, headers and end up having to do a custom exhaust (Accessories were not available for the 429, they are for the 500 and 472s). Hopefully, this will all be done by July. I'll be sure to update everyone. Thanks for your help everyone.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I can't help you with the struts, except to say that you are probably looking for savings using passive struts as opposed to the RSS active struts. The factory and OEM STS struts have RSS and are expensive. You might look at Rock Auto. They list struts and shocks for the 1994 STS at good prices.

You can do a lot with at Coupe DeVille and a 500. Check out this video; there is a link to it from this board's video section:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C5715F8...89FED52E55A.htm

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

That was sweet! What year caddy was that?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

It's hard to say what year it was, but it looks a lot like yours, except that your car has the tonneau top and may be a later model. By the blurb on the site, it appears that the mods consist mostly of suspension, wheels, engine, transmission, and differential. By the sound of the exhaust during the run, the Caddy is feathering the throttle for traction most of the way through the quarter mile. I would suppose that the tranny is a trans-brake Powerglide, which would explain the wheelie at the start and give him the two gears he needs for the quarter mile.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Why didnt you consider the 68 472 instead of the 76 500 cu in engine, wouldn't it have been a cleaner conversion? I have never been a fan of the 500...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Why didnt you consider the 68 472 instead of the 76 500 cu in engine, wouldn't it have been a cleaner conversion? I have never been a fan of the 500...

Hi Mike,

Why is that? It definitely would have been cleaner but isn't the 500 just the 472 bored? The 500 is going to get oversized pistons as well, probably only by .0020. Let me know your thoughts....It's already too late but I'm still interested. Thanks

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Hi Mike,

isn't the 500 just the 472 bored?

No - The 500 is a 472 that is stroked for reduced emissions.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think gmotors.com sells passive oem struts for your car. If you want aftermarket, theres boston suspension, and maybe Monroe. (not sure) I would go with oem if possible.

Hi Mike,

isn't the 500 just the 472 bored?

No - The 500 is a 472 that is stroked for reduced emissions.

Hi,

Interesting, I just talked to the engine shop, not much I can do about the stroke at this point, but I do have them putting in the higher compression pistons from 70-73. So I could get a 472 crank and that would make the 500 a 472 due to the shorter stroke? If you look at this link for 74:

74 caddy engine comparision

It shows the horsepower as comparable for the two different engines and the torque as favorable for the 500.

The engine is down at a shop getting rebuilt now, hopefully I'll have it back in another couple of weeks, I'll yank the 429 and trans out of the 67 and see what this project is really going to entail. It should be interesting.

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I think gmotors.com sells passive oem struts for your car. If you want aftermarket, theres boston suspension, and maybe Monroe. (not sure) I would go with oem if possible.

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I just sent them a parts request with an explanation. I'll let you know what they come up with.

Also, I'm aware of the aftermarket solutions, but I swear back on this board awhile ago someone successfully used oem 1994 deville struts in their 94 sts and just wanted to verify this before I go any further.

Thanks again,

Chris

edit: Just got a quote from the website for $206 shipped! Wow, I may have to give them a call and find out exactly what I am getting. Thanks!

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Archived