CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

not shifting out of park

koushka

Hey guys, first off thanks for this great forum, you guys have really helped me with my previous issues. Now for the one I can't seem to figure out. I own a 2000 DTS that does not like to shift out of park. Codes in history are PCM P1617, IPC U1016 and IRC U1016, no current codes. I don't think the codes are relevant to this problem. It started doing this in November I believe, when I used the parking brake. It stopped due to cold weather, it shifts fine all the time if its below 20 degrees or so outside. Now that it is spring its back, I was hoping it would just stop but its gotten a lot worse. I noticed a clicking noise coming from the shift console when I apply the brake, not sure if its normal because it doesn't happen all the time.

I did a little searching on the forums and found out about a lockout solenoid, could this be what is going on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

.... I noticed a clicking noise coming from the shift console when I apply the brake, not sure if its normal because it doesn't happen all the time.....
You should hear the noise with the ignition switch in ON, parking brake released (park brake pedal up), and brake pedal depressed.

Try setting up these conditions with all the doors and windows closed, radio OFF, ignition switch in ON position but engine not started. Every time you tap the brake pedal, you should hear the shift lock solenoid in the console moving (clicking).

(1)When you do not hear the solenoid, try lifting the park brake pedal UP with your toes to see if that changes the situation.

(2)When you do not hear the solenoid, try rotating the the ignition switch very slightly while keeping it in the ON position. Wiggle the key slightly to see if that changes the situation.

(3)Try depressing the brake pedal just a little farther.

Tell us which of 1, 2, or 3 causes the solenoid to operate normally or fail to operate normally.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ok, so upon your instructions, 1, 2, or 3 does not operate the solenoid. I couldn't get it to "click" at all no matter what I did.

Thanks so much for helping really appreciate it,

Peter

You are saying the solenoid does not operate at all now?

There are several fuses that you should inspect located in the fuse panel under the rear seat cushion. The 10A "PRK/REV", 15A "IGN SW", and 10A "IGN 3 RR".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Checked the fuses you indicated and they are all good. Yeah its not clicking at all, it has been on and off of clicking all winter, sometimes it would sometimes it wouldn't.

again thank you for your help and extremely quick responses,

Peter

One more time under the rear seat, there is a relay "PARK RELAY" to check. Pull a relay from some other circuit to susbstitute as a test.

If swapping relays makes no difference, I would say you have a failed shift lock solenoid OR a problem in the RIM (Rear Integration Module).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived