CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Scratch repair

Peter1972

As I washed my car yesterday I noticed a 4 1/2 inch deep scratch in the rear quarter panel passenger side. I don't have a clue how it got there the car has a flawless finish and I wash and liquid glass the finish like a fanatic and I'm none to happy about the scratch. I think it's to deep to buff out, Any suggestions on a self fix to cover it up.

Thank you

If you've followed the posted link, you can see there is a lot of science and talent involved in getting a good paint repair. These days, I see only two ways to get good results; 1) take it to a professional, and 2) Settle for just hiding the scratch as easily as possible by yourself. Most home attempts usually end up making the scratch more noticeable than it was before. Things like matching spray paint that you buy in the auto store, or touch-up paint in a little bottle will almost always lead to a bad job since the surface profile (shine) will never be the same.

Depending on the color of the car, I like to use a Magic Marker of a similar color. The (permanent) magic marker colors will stain the underlying primer color to match the top coat without adding bulk to the surface. When the color eventually wears off, it can easily be redone. Naturally this works best with dark colors. If the car is white, or very light, you'd be better off seeing the pros or leaving it alone.

I had a scratch on my Diamond White '99 repaired by a "scratch doctor on wheels" guy. He had everything set up in a van, and would visit dealerships doing spot repairs. His method involved minor surface preperation and an air brush, or small spray gun that would deliver a very light, tight pattern. He could thereby limit the amount of surrounding overspray and adjacent finish damage. Using multiple VERY light coats of paint, and finally a little clear, he made a very good repair.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

someone probably rubbed up against the car or something like that. If it is a light scratch, you can probably rub it out with some light compound (nothing heavy). If it is really deep, there isn'tmuch option but to get some paint work done. It all depends on how much it bothers you.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

If its just a clearcoat scratch, I wetsand with 2000 grit paper, following a very tight line precisely on top of the scratch.

I then use a compound wax, followed by a sealer polish.

Trial and error, but I've become pretty good at it.

Only I know where my scratches once were.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Some good info here:

http://www.properautocare.com/byhand.html

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I had a scratch on my Diamond White '99 repaired by a "scratch doctor on wheels" guy. He had everything set up in a van, and would visit dealerships doing spot repairs. His method involved minor surface preperation and an air brush, or small spray gun that would deliver a very light, tight pattern. He could thereby limit the amount of surrounding overspray and adjacent finish damage. Using multiple VERY light coats of paint, and finally a little clear, he made a very good repair.

I'm curious, how much did he charge for the scratch repair?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

If you've followed the posted link, you can see there is a lot of science and talent involved in getting a good paint repair. These days, I see only two ways to get good results; 1) take it to a professional, and 2) Settle for just hiding the scratch as easily as possible by yourself. Most home attempts usually end up making the scratch more noticeable than it was before. Things like matching spray paint that you buy in the auto store, or touch-up paint in a little bottle will almost always lead to a bad job since the surface profile (shine) will never be the same.

Depending on the color of the car, I like to use a Magic Marker of a similar color. The (permanent) magic marker colors will stain the underlying primer color to match the top coat without adding bulk to the surface. When the color eventually wears off, it can easily be redone. Naturally this works best with dark colors. If the car is white, or very light, you'd be better off seeing the pros or leaving it alone.

I'm down with the scratch doctor idea I am going to check on availability in my area. What was the cost.

Thank you

Peter

someone probably rubbed up against the car or something like that. If it is a light scratch, you can probably rub it out with some light compound (nothing heavy). If it is really deep, there isn'tmuch option but to get some paint work done. It all depends on how much it bothers you.

Oh it bothers me plenty I'm that type person. I hate scratches on the finish of a well taken care of vehicle. Once you know it's there now it seems to jump out at you LOL. I'm looking at the options people suggested it's to deep to rub out. This site is great people here know everything there is to know about Cadillacs it's very helpful.

Thank you

Peter

I'm down with the scratch doctor idea I am going to check on availability in my area. What was the cost.

The dealer paid for the repair, since the guys in the wash/prep bay REALLY made it worse by trying the touch-up paint in a little bottle. When they were done with it, it was a black spot on Diamond White paint! (the scratch was on the plastic bumper)

I don't know.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

If you buy one of those touch up paints that has a brush and a pen like applicator, you can fill in the scratch with the pen applicator, building it up with a few apllications over the course of a few days and then rub it out. Of course that is if the scratch is not wide. Otherwise leave it to the pro's because you will end up there anyways if you try to fix to big of a scratch.

I concur with the scratch doctor...

Some of those guys are really good.

I was able to find out that he came to the dealership every Monday, so I took Monday off, swung out into the back lot where he was working, and did the deal in cash....

A la OJ Simpson, let me say that I did NOT back over that mailbox with my Tahoe, and scratch the rear door real bad. I did not do that. But if I had, I might have needed a dent remover /touch up guy.... heh heh.

Scratch was pretty bad. Though to the metal, and dented slightly. He made it disappear. I think it was $30 cash... not enough to remember exactly.

I was pleased.

Archived