CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 seville fault codes

hi i live in scotland and own rh drive uk seville sts 4.6 north star engine .I bought this car with some codes displayed on information panel below speed "o" and as these cars are no longer are avilable over here none of the original dealers have not kept the infomation i need .So i need some help and advice the codes are displayed as ( exp id 23) (exp id 54) (exp id 113) (exp id 140) and to add to this the car is speed limited to 90 mpr and this is displayed on the same panel so any advice and help i would be most greatful

Welcome.

The messages with "exp" relate to exported vehicles and beyond that, I am useless.

Your speed limited message is because of a malfunction somewhere. And to identify the somewhere, you need to display the OnBoard Diagnostic (OBD) trouble codes. To display the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) on your car, read here

http://caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Sorry for all the abbreviations, but that is the jargon we all have to deal with :)

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I should have added this. When you are displaying DTCs related to your speed limited message, the important codes will be "C" codes.

Post them here and help will follow.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Many thanks to *JIM D*:D, i was able to access the fault codes and reset some of them but there are still some current ones remaining and are as follows abs /c1252 /c1253 /u1255 + pcm p1611 /p1652 again any help with these codes i have ordered cadillac workshop /factory repair manuals k platform 3 set for seville sts 1998 can anyone tell me if full diagnostic fault codes would be in these manuals and also what the codes mean again thanks to all who reply Mike.

C1252 Left Front Normal Force Malfunction

C1253 Right Front Normal Force Malfunction

U1255 Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

P1611 Loss of CVRTD Serial Data

P1652 Powertrain Induced Chassis Pitch Output Circuit

It looks like a bad connection between the wiring harness and the accelerometers in the front. This will disable Stabilitrak, which gives the speed limit of 90 mph. I don't have manuals on the 1998+ Seville, so someone who does, or who has experience with these, will step in.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Is the "speed limited" message still displayed after clearing the codes?

All four of the codes you reported have one thing in common and that is the CVRSS module which is located on the RH side of the car behind the rear seat back cushion. One possibility is damaged wire harness or connector. Another is failed module. CVRSS = Constant Velocity Road Sensing Suspension.

One other possibility is also a wiring or connector problem at the EBTCM (Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module). This module is at the bottom front LH corner of the engine cradle and will have 6 hydraulic brake lines connected to it.

And yes, the Service Manuals will have details for all codes.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Answer to Jim D after clearing codes no messages on display , ie speed limited to 90, took car for a test run was able to go over 90 (private road) suspension felt bouncy ,then speed limit kicked in and message came back on screen limited to 90 ,i am not going to carry out any work on the car untill the manuals arrive from your native country ,should be in about 10 days , and i will let you know the outcome, and if i need any help i know where to come , once again thanks to those who replyed Mike in Edinburgh

• 1 year later...

Any luck with this?

I recently purchased a 99 STS export, not knowing but no big deal.

My DTC's read

EXP ID 113

Speed limited to 90

Codes are

C1710 Current

C1715 Current

any help would be much appreciated.

Car does not sag, I just want to erase the codes.

Archived