CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 Deville engine shutter

ozzyn

I am having a couple of problems with my 2000 DHS and I think they are related. While ideling every now and then I would feel a stumble in the engine. It wasn't real regular and sometimes it is worse then others. A couple of days ago it started to shudder while driving. It always happens while there are low RPMs and I just give it a little gas. For instance if I am going around 35 mph, the car is running low RPMs, and I begin up a slight incline. I feel no different if I give it a lot of gas. Still plenty of power. I have only had this car for about a month and of course my 1000 mile warranty the dealership gave me is used up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Normally I would say plug wires, but you don't have any. How many miles on it? Might need plugs. Have you checked to see if there are any DTC's stored?

Remove the silver plastic beauty cover and look at the fuel rail. The FPR is the small canister attached to it with a vacuum hose on top. Remove the hose with the engine at idle and plug it with your finger. Look for fuel leaking from the nipple. There should be none.

These things are kinda hard to diagnose, I mean you start with the obvious like spark and fuel but if fuel pressure is good and spark is good it's time to get a factory service manual if you want to do diagnosis on your own. I know for my 92 Eldo there were a slew of things that were monitored and could be observed through the DIC I would imagine the DHS would be somewhat similar. An FSM will provide you with information on what values certain things should be operating at normally say like O2 sensor feedback voltage and other stuff. If it isn't too bad of a shudder and car isn't stalling or anything I would say let it go til it gets worse then it might be easier to diagnose and fix, unfortunately this isn't the most desirable route to go but sometimes it makes things a lot easier to fix with less money wasted.

The descripion sounds like a plug or coil misfiring, or an injector misfiring. At some point the PCM should decide to set a P0300 code.

In any event, it is not something that will leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived