CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1975 Eldorado...Should I?

Alright, here is the deal. I can get a 1975 Edlorado (metallic orange with a white vinyl top and brown leather interior) for probably between 700-1000 bucks. It's got about 112,000 miles on it with a 500 cu. in. in it. It's almost in mint condition, just has a little surface rust. The interior is perfect. It has climate control, cruise, tilt, auto headlights, and all the goodies of a caddy. An elderly lady had it and now it's just sitting. It looks awesome. What do you guys think? I've wanted an old muscle car, but I don't have 15,000 dollars to buy a muscle car that is in the condition that this is in. And a 500 would have plenty of power as far as I'm concerned. Do you guys think I should get it?? Any input appreciated!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By '75, the 500 was pretty well detuned due to emissions. If you do a search and find the HP ratings for the various years, you'll see what I mean. That aside, I'd go for it. Sounds like a nice car (toy).

You need BBF to chime in here. He used to own a seventies Eldorado.

Like Ranger said, 190hp and over 2 tons of car means it would be slower than

most current economy cars.

Still, lots of fun for only $700 bucks.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Let me see. A classic caddy in excellent condition for around a 1000 bucks. HHhmmmmmm.

My friend that is a NO BRAINER. Of course buy it buy it.

Kdaddy

You need BBF to chime in here. He used to own a seventies Eldorado.

I used to have a '73 Eldo. Sold it in about '77 with 40K on it. It looked like it just rolled off the show room floor. I still miss that battleship.

By '75, the 500 was pretty well detuned due to emissions. If you do a search and find the HP ratings for the various years, you'll see what I mean. That aside, I'd go for it. Sounds like a nice car (toy).

I suppose so with the emissions. Remember though, they changed the rating of the horsepower around 72. They used to rate the engines without anything no them. Then they started rating them with the airpumps and a/c running and everything on them. That's why it seems that the horsepower is so low. But you do have a good point, it will not be like the older 500's. But, it is still a 500. :) I'm going to go take as many pictures as I can (it's along side a building, a little tough to get one side) and post them on here.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

"For 1970 Cadillac stroked the V8 to 4.304 in (109.3 mm), increasing total displacement to 500 in (8.2 L). At introduction it was rated at 400 hp (298 kW), SAE gross, and 550 ft·lb (750 N·m) of torque. For 1971 compression was reduced from 10:1 to 8.5:1, reducing power to 365 hp (gross) or 235 hp (175 kW) in the new SAE ratings. By 1976, its final year, it had fallen to 190 hp (142 kW). It held the title of the largest-displacement production engine ever offered in a passenger car by a US automaker until 2003, when Dodge introduced the third-generation of their Dodge V10 now at 505 in introduced in the Dodge Viper SRT-10, but the 8.2 L (500 in) is still the largest V8 ever used in a production car."

"For 1970 Cadillac stroked the V8 to 4.304 in (109.3 mm), increasing total displacement to 500 in (8.2 L). At introduction it was rated at 400 hp (298 kW), SAE gross, and 550 ft·lb (750 N·m) of torque. For 1971 compression was reduced from 10:1 to 8.5:1, reducing power to 365 hp (gross) or 235 hp (175 kW) in the new SAE ratings. By 1976, its final year, it had fallen to 190 hp (142 kW). It held the title of the largest-displacement production engine ever offered in a passenger car by a US automaker until 2003, when Dodge introduced the third-generation of their Dodge V10 now at 505 in introduced in the Dodge Viper SRT-10, but the 8.2 L (500 in) is still the largest V8 ever used in a production car."

So it's the 365/235hp then, right? Yeah, I suppose it would be since 76 is when they changed it again. I might do some changing if I get it and pump it back up again. Here are some pictures I just took:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Ah yes. Brings back memories. Especially the first one. I'll bet it rides like an ACV (Air Cushion Vehicle). Somewhere I once saw a list of them year by year with the associated HP ratings, but I caould not find that list. It was sad to see them fall so far.

Ah yes. Brings back memories. Especially the first one. I'll bet it rides like an ACV (Air Cushion Vehicle). Somewhere I once saw a list of them year by year with the associated HP ratings, but I caould not find that list. It was sad to see them fall so far.

That'll have the air ride?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

1975 had the 210hp/380torque motor. In 1976, it was further detuned to 190/360 torque.

The gross to net hp ratings ocurred in 1972. The 500ci went from 365hp to 235hp. The monster 400hp was only made for 1970.

Here's an engine guide for you.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/936...e/Engineid.html

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

1975 had the 210hp/380torque motor. In 1976, it was further detuned to 190/360 torque.

The gross to net hp ratings ocurred in 1972. The 500ci went from 365hp to 235hp. The monster 400hp was only made for 1970.

Here's an engine guide for you.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/936...e/Engineid.html

That was some cool info, thanks! According to that, it only lost 35hp and 15 lb/ft of torque from 1970 from the drop in compression. That's not that awful much. I can throw and edlbroc cam, intake, carb and maybe even change out the pistons and get plenty of power. I find it strange that it's front wheel drive though.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

So what tranny will be in that thing?

Also, I was reading somewhere and people were getting between 8-12 in town and 15-20 on the highway. That's insane. I am REALLY not concerned with fuel economy, but it's just cool to know. Anyone who would be concerned with fuel economy would be insane for buying a 500.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I found out that it has a TH425 tranny in it which is essentially a TH400 in FWD cars. I love that tranny, it's indestructable. They used the same drivetrain that was in the oldsmobile tornado/eldorado in the GMC motorhome from 73-78. That's how tough they are. I found a site that is advertising a 75 eldorado and gives all the number for everything.

http://www.jpegcity.com/Eldorado.htm

They say that it has 535 lb/ft of torque, which would be correct according to that site I was given earlier. That is a lot of torque.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy it. I'm not sure how long it's been sitting though. He said it ran perfect when it was parked. The battery is dead so I'll either have to buy a new one or see if that one will hold a charge. I might buy it tomorrow if I like it enough. NADA says it's worth $9450. If it was a convertible it would be worth almost $23000. I don't have the money to buy a convertible right now though. I can't find any either.

I'll let everyone know what I find out tomorrow.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Please don't think I am crazy for what I did but I had a 1976 Cadillac Deville with the 500 in it and I did three things too it that made it SCREAM.

-I replaced the exhaust with a pre- 1975 exhaust system. The Catalytic converters in these are HUGE and are the "old" style cat that robbed power.

-No Resonator

-Changed the ignition timing to 1970 500cu specs.

I sware to God the difference was amazing. :o

Kdaddy

Please don't think I am crazy for what I did but I had a 1976 Cadillac Deville with the 500 in it and I did three things too it that made it SCREAM.

-I replaced the exhaust with a pre- 1975 exhaust system. The Catalytic converters in these are HUGE and are the "old" style cat that robbed power.

-No Resonator

-Changed the ignition timing to 1970 500cu specs.

I sware to God the difference was amazing. :o

Kdaddy

Hmmm...I may have to do the same thing :ph34r:

Have you driven a northstar? If so, how is it compared to that?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I've been searching everywhere and can't find what the crankcase capicity is, in other words how much oil it takes when changing it. I'm guessing it's probably near 7, but I don't know for that old of an engine.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

As someone mentioned I had a 74 Eldorado Convertible. I replaced the top and had the heads re-done with hardened valve guides as leaded gas was no longer available. The heads weighted a TON and picking them up off the engine was back breaking..

I never really felt that it was underpowered it would pin you to the seat and just pulled and pulled.

I had a shimmy/vibration at highway speed that I could not solve, but I suspect it was a bent wheel now years later. I can't say that it was a favorite of mine, everything was just so big and different (bolts, torsion bars, wheels, hub bearings, etc). One thing that used to freak me out was that when you jacked up the front end, the space at the DOOR opening would close from the body flexing so much as the car was so heavy and the lack of bracing from it being a convertible allowed the car to flex so much.....

It also was not nimble, doing a simple three point turn was a challenge. I once took it to Chinatown in Manhattan and the streets are narrow. When I parked the car on a narrow street, it almost hit the car across the street..... :lol: It handled like a luxury liner, you needed to plan stuff way in advance :lol: But on the open road or even on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan riding with the top down was an awesome breathtaking experience...

I drove it to Florida when my son was 1 year old and had to replace the drivers side hub bearing that began to glow red and that was a HUGE job using my friends tools.

It had a torsion bar front suspension, and hit bumps like a tank.

It got a lot of attention on the road with the top down, I didn't have it long and ended up giving it to a friend of mine. I think mine had a rochester quadrajet 4bbl. It was a very comfortable car and other than the shimmy it was a good car.

IPB Image

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Alright, here is the deal. I can get a 1975 Edlorado (metallic orange with a white vinyl top and brown leather interior) for probably between 700-1000 bucks. It's got about 112,000 miles on it with a 500 cu. in. in it. It's almost in mint condition, just has a little surface rust. The interior is perfect. It has climate control, cruise, tilt, auto headlights, and all the goodies of a caddy. An elderly lady had it and now it's just sitting. It looks awesome. What do you guys think? I've wanted an old muscle car, but I don't have 15,000 dollars to buy a muscle car that is in the condition that this is in. And a 500 would have plenty of power as far as I'm concerned. Do you guys think I should get it?? Any input appreciated!

Sounds like a very good deal and a nice project to do a little restoration and have a classic caddy to admire and take out for a Cruise. I'd buy it for that money good luck.

As a side note the other day I was in a garage of a local sand and gravel company owned by and Italian family as most of the con st or gravel companies are owned by. Two brothers are left both in their 70s. Anyways one brother mike likes to collect old fire trucks, old dump trucks etc he has some real nice pieces so I'm in this big garage talking with some of the truck drivers I know and over in a dark corner I see a big car under a dusty car cover that looks like it hasn't been touched in 30 years. Whats under the cover you ask yep a black convertible Cadillac with 16 thousand original miles on it. I couldn't belive it I just lifted up the cover and looked through the drivers side window but didn't spend to much time checking it out. I don't know exactly what year it is. My god would I love to inquire about this car if he would consider selling it I haven't a clue what something like this is worth. These guys are worth at least 10 million each and this brother mike has around 60 old trucks and machines I don't know how hung up on this caddy he is I am going to try to get some pictures and post them.

That is truly an epic body style....

I'm not wild about the color personally, but for that money, you can't turn it down...

And yeah, there are lots of easy ways to unleash that motor from it's emission control hell....

About 1980 I had a friend that had a 1973 Eldorado with the 500 cid engine. She was a widow, and it was her husband's pet until he died. She thought that it was a muscle car until she insisted on a stoplight Grand Prix with my 1969 Chevrolet nine passenger station wagon, which had a detuned 400 hp 427 cid with a THM 400. I ignored her and she romped on it and leered back at me after about four car lengths, so I nailed it. Before my car came out of low gear, she flashed her headlights in surrender; I think I was still legal in a 50 mph zone.

Between 1971 and 1974, it was hard to find 250 hp because EGR, retarded spark, low compression, and other measures were put on engines designed in the 1960's were all they had. Beginning in 1975 engines designed with a clean sheet of paper began to appear and things looked up.

I would snap up that car in a heartbeat if I was prepared to deal with parts and maintenance of a car that old, and could park it in a garage. At 8 mpg, it's not a daily driver, but what a weekend ride it is.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I always liked those eldorados. My buddy had a '70 with the 500....POWER OUT THE *SS!! As long as the body isn't rotted completely out...that is a great deal. Crawl under and start poking around. Good luck!!! Let us know.....I am a huge classic car freak...got a few of my own :)

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I've been searching everywhere and can't find what the crankcase capicity is, in other words how much oil it takes when changing it. I'm guessing it's probably near 7, but I don't know for that old of an engine.

As I recall it is 5 qts.

For some added response I used to put a curve kit in the distributor (heavier weights and lighter springs), then turn the air filter cover upside down. That would let it breath from 360 degrees rather than through the small snorkel. Boy would she howl when you put your foot in the carb. You have to be aware of weather conditions though as it will ice up on moist days below about 50 degrees.

Awesome responses guys!

Very quick update! I bought the car for 700 bucks! It had a bad starter, but I had an extra and I'm going to put it on tomorrow. It was sitting since last fall. That thing is in AWESOME condition. I could probably restore it completely in a day. It is sooo comfy. I'm going to get it going tomorrow and I'll post some pictures. My girlfriends dad used to work on these cars and he's giving me hints on how to give it some kicks. It has a new carb, new fuel pump, new muffler. The engine is really clean, no leaks. I'll post tomorrow and let you know if I get it started.

Oh, and I read the owners manual that was actually still in there with the original pre-check list from the dealership and it's 6 quarts with the filter.

I'm the third owner on it. The first guy had it till '81 and the next person had it until I got it.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived