CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS avoidance Radar

The 2008 STS has as an available feature blind spot radar. This is literally two radar sensors which will continually scan the driver's blind spots, and display an icon on the outside mirrors when there is a vehicle near the STS that might not be in view on the mirrors.

More info on the radar manufacturer's website here: http://www.valeoraytheon.com/index.html

Amazing that this type technology is getting into Cadillacs now, and I think this will be a very desirable feature.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Sounds to me like a really annoying feature. I hope that if I get one of these cars, I'll be able to permanently disable it.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

I just saw this advertised on TV for another manufacturer that I don't recall. It was nothing more than a red LED on the mirror.

Volvo. I saw the commerical too. They also have a feature that alerts you when you are approaching a person in front of you too fast and they have a HUD brake light thing and chimes telling you to slow down because you aren't paying attention. The things we invent because women starting drived :P JUST KIDDING!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I think this is a feature that will sell cars, and is EXACTLY the type of technology that Cadillac should be putting in every car. When you buy a Cadillac it should be like Texas Jim's Deville and have EVERY gadget, tastefully done.

IPB Image

Bruce

I welcome any advanced technology I can get it sounds like a great feature. How many times do you see people almost pull right over into someone because of that blind spot I've done it myself. As a tractor trailer driver I would welcome this technology into the trucking industry there are huge blind spots on a 53 ft trailer it would save lives.

I absolutely love the sonar feature in the rear bumper I use it everyday .

They're calling it RADAR, so it's probably going to be radio and not sonic.

Xband = 10.500 - 10.550 GHz

Kband = 24.050 - 24.250 GHz

Kaband = 33.400 - 36.000 GHz

Kuband = 13.400 - 13.500 GHz (Europe only)

Blind Spot radar may work on 10 GHz, 25 GHz, and 'sweepable' 10 GHz to 30 Ghz.

I'm not sure what 'sweepable' means, but it looks like it is this particular aspect that will affect radar detectors.

However, I think those that don't look before they turn aren't paying attention anyways, so adding an visual alert isn't going to help anything. Those that aren't paying attention in the first place aren't going to pay attention to the visual alert, either. Also, I see people change lanes without even turning their heads (how much effort does this take?) and often without checking mirrors at all. So, as such, this technology adds nothing. I see this as a marketing gimmick.

A simple solution that doesn't cost anything : adjust outside mirrors so they point into the blind spots and then ACTUALLY use them in addition to turning your head. Easy, quick, effective, free.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

My STS that I have now has a "crash" sensor built into the radar based cruise control. If the cruise control is activated and a car in front slows down faster than the system can react, a red crash symbol icon flashes in the HUD along with a constant beeping to alert the driver to avoid a collision. Also, if the cruise control system is simply on and not activated, the system will use the same alert if to warn you if you are approaching a vehicle too fast.

Max

The tech data sheet on the blindspot radar says:

Range .5 Meters - 60 Meters

24Ghz ISM Narrowband operation: 24 Ghz -24.25 Ghz

So especially with older radar detectors I suspect you will find that cars slow down around you.

Bruce

The tech data sheet on the blindspot radar says:

Range .5 Meters - 60 Meters

24Ghz ISM Narrowband operation: 24 Ghz -24.25 Ghz

So especially with older radar detectors I suspect you will find that cars slow down around you.

Most of the older X and K band detectors are so poorly designed and built that almost any level of RF in close proximity will set them off.

In my younger days (read playfull) I could trip a RADAR detector in a car 1/2 mile in front of me with a short burst of 450 MHz RF. Would get brake lights every time.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yes, that was what I was thinking, too, that poorly designed radar detectors will send a flurry of false alarms.

We would also hope that the blind spot radar transceivers are well-designed so as not to trip well-designed detectors.

IPB Image

As an Eldo owner, I'm well aware of "blind spots" - like, for example, the entire left and right rear of the car.... :lol:

However, if you set your outside mirrors correctly, you can eliminate about 98% of the blind spots. The trick is to set them OUT much farther than you'd normally do so. Many of us were taught to set the outside mirrors so that you see your left and right rear fender corners, which is wrong. They should be positioned to show much farther away from the car.

If you take a look out your inside rearview mirror, you want to set the outside ones to start coverage just the tiniest bit out of the angle your inside one shows. In other words, if a vehicle is overtaking you on the left (rare, but it does happen...) , you want it to appear in the OUTSIDE mirror just as it comes out of the coverage of your INSIDE mirror. Same thing on the right as you pass a vehicle - the angle of coverage should put the car in your outside mirror just as your rear bumper clears the line of the other car's front bumper, and as you increase the distance between your car and the other one, the car should appear in your INTERIOR mirror as soon as it passes out of the angle covered by your RIGHT OUTSIDE mirror.

It's kind of hard to describe, and it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you try it and get used to the wider field of vision that your outside mirrors show, it will be self-evident.

So turn those OUTSIDE mirrors AWAY from your rear corners a bit, and see how it works...

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

Every time there is a technology or requirement that appears to dumb down or idiot proof or thereby interfere with the freedom of the driving experience, you will get those who balk at the suggestion or development. I can think of things such as seat belts, automatic door locks, brake interlocks, OLM, top speed cutoffs, ABS, banning cell phone use, motor cycle helmets, black box recorders, etc.

I am not a careless driver in the least, I set my mirrors correctly and once in a blue moon I go to make an impulsive move and stop and discover that a car was in my blind spot (either side). It can happen because a car is speeding and ended up in your blind spot unnoticed. All it takes is a split second mistake to end up in an uncontrolled 360, people drive like IDIOTS. If this feature functions at all I welcome more driver information. I also like the HUD that sees heat signatures at night up the road in the dark..

Give them a chance to execute this feature and lets not start criticizing it before it happens... We are all GREAT drivers but ONE mistake and you could be DEAD..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

They're calling it RADAR, so it's probably going to be radio and not sonic.

Xband = 10.500 - 10.550 GHz

Kband = 24.050 - 24.250 GHz

Kaband = 33.400 - 36.000 GHz

Kuband = 13.400 - 13.500 GHz (Europe only)

Blind Spot radar may work on 10 GHz, 25 GHz, and 'sweepable' 10 GHz to 30 Ghz.

I'm not sure what 'sweepable' means, but it looks like it is this particular aspect that will affect radar detectors.

However, I think those that don't look before they turn aren't paying attention anyways, so adding an visual alert isn't going to help anything. Those that aren't paying attention in the first place aren't going to pay attention to the visual alert, either. Also, I see people change lanes without even turning their heads (how much effort does this take?) and often without checking mirrors at all. So, as such, this technology adds nothing. I see this as a marketing gimmick.

A simple solution that doesn't cost anything : adjust outside mirrors so they point into the blind spots and then ACTUALLY use them in addition to turning your head. Easy, quick, effective, free.

Agreed paying better attention is far better than any technology and the best way is to look over your shoulder in addition to the mirrors that said I admit I have in my life almost pulling into another vehicle by accident it happens. With this new technology it would be just a added safety feature and a good idea.

We'll have to see how the execution of this blind-spot radar fares over the next several years. I, for one, don't have much hope for that technology. However, I wish they leave a simple way to disable it. As for HUDs, GM offered them several years ago and found hardly anybody wanted it; they have since abandoned it altogether. Toyota and BMW is now offering infrared HUDs in some of their cars. I wonder how their sales will pan out.

JimHare explains mirror placement exactly the way I do it. After a few sessions in the car, you *know* where your blind spots are and mirror adjustment becomes easy. It becomes brainless for those of us that have the memory seat option that automagically adusts them. Simply set up your three mirrors so that there is no overlap between them. On top of that, maintain what we pilots call Situational Awareness at all times - this is the ONE MOST important point.

No amount of technology will help inattentive or careless drivers, but maybe this one will help, but I really doubt it.

IPB Image

Actually, I was reading an article on corvette auction values which suggests that if a used Corvette does NOT have head up display (HUD) equipped, it was less desirable and was worth a lesser value at auction than a HUD equipped car. I feel they are very desirable as a feature, but that they have not been marketed sufficiently, at least on Cadillacs.

I am a big proponent of outside mirror adjustment, so that vehicles are either in sight in my rear view, my outside, or my peripheral vision. I don't see a problem or distraction having an icon on the outside mirror notify me when a car is there. Meanwhile if it saves me a dangerous high speed crash because someone is overtaking after I have "cleared" my blind spot and before I change lanes, all the better.

Bruce

From this consumer's point of view, this blind spot RADAR is comparable to the discontinued IR Night Vision system. Both are solutions in search of a problem; not even close to the category of ABS or airbags.

Avoidance systems are beneficial when the closing speeds approach 700 MPH; and then an "active" system is necessary. An unidentifed Cadillac spokesperson was credited with saying Night Vision might return in the future but it would have to be an active system. Active in the sense of ABS, airbags, or Stabilitrak.

Night Vision was from a Raytheon - Delphi effort and the blind spot system is from a Raytheon - Valeo collaboration. It's good to see a defense contractor (Raytheon) trying to broaden their base; but this blind spot system is not going to have a major impact on the driving public or Raytheon until it somehow becomes an active system.

Cadillac has the reputation as the test bed for technology at GM. They don't always get it right the first time.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

nice feature to have....caddy's don't have much of a blind spot, vehicles like pickups (much better these days then past vehicles) really need this, hope it can be made affordable. Should help keep ones eyes where they should be, in front and on the road.

There was a video I was shown in a drivers class that showed the proper way to adjust your mirrors, have someone, walk around your vehicle in a 2 foot radius, if you ever lose them in a blind spot attempt to adjust the mirrors to eliminate them, sometimes you can't but you cut them down, really no point in seeing the side of your car in the mirrors :P

Also, easiest way to "disable" the radar is to not buy that option :P Also HUD's, from what I understand, are very in demand items, the STS and its V variant have them, the XLR does to my knowledge, and the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I have almost acquired does :) Good way to keep your eyes where the should be, the hud in the grand prix even shows radio information so you don't have to look down to see what station your on while tuning with the steering wheel controls.

Night vision didn't make it because in CITY areas you can see everthing, on country roads that weren't flat, it would be looking into the sky or at the road, plus at a 2000 dollar premium it has a way of becoming something that someone doesn't want.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived