CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Small issues, need some help

Dave G

Ok first this is what I love about car forums, being able to ask questions and get answers. So far I have been loving my 01 STS. There are some small things though that I could use help figuring out.

First: when I am shifting into drive the car stays in N until I move the lever about halfway between the D and 3. Just going from Park to Drive it stays in neutral and never gets to D. Ie: its like I am leaving the shifter in N and not on D. Once I move it down a little more it goes into Drive and eveything is fine. Is it possibly just the cable that needs adjusting? If so, how do I do that?

Second: My heated seat on the drivers side doesnt work. I can hear it clicking and trying to go on but it never gets hot. All 3 other seats work fine. Could it just be the fuse, or is my heating element shot? What would it cost to have it fixed?

Third: How do I remove the tube that goes from the MAF to the TB? That big plastic piece on top is in the way and it looks like if I took it off first it would never go back on. Do I take that all out as one peice? Also any warnings before I clean out the TB with some intake cleaner? I know the procedure from my other car, but dont know if there is anything I should avoid with this motor. I have averaged 20mpg so far and think I can squeak a few more mpg out of there. Cleaning the MAF and TB used to do wonders for my other car. I guess I should check my trans fluid when I have that out too.

....Second: My heated seat on the drivers side doesnt work. I can hear it clicking and trying to go on but it never gets hot. All 3 other seats work fine. Could it just be the fuse, or is my heating element shot? What would it cost to have it fixed?
There are four seat heater fuses under the rear seat. Check the 10A fuse labeled HTDST LF. All the seat heater failures I have read about were heating element failures, unfortunately. Here is a how-to for a Deville seat heater replacement; yours will be similar.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11265

Third: How do I remove the tube that goes from the MAF to the TB? That big plastic piece on top is in the way and it looks like if I took it off first it would never go back on. Do I take that all out as one peice?....
Your engine might be slightly different than my '04 and this might not apply.

The plastic trim/sound panel should lift straight up. It is held in position by gravity and four rubber isolated locating pins. But, you should be able to reach the throttle valve without removing anything other than the flexible (rubber) intake air hose.

I would not expect to see any change in fuel economy after cleaning the throttle body and throttle valve. In my experience, a dirty throttle valve shows up as a sticky throttle pedal at off-idle when the engine is cold.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I think Dave may be talking about the intake silencer, which mounts on the tube between the MAF and TB. On my '01 STS, that silencer is held in place by one Torx screw towards the front of the silencer, and "lays" in place via a slip-fit with the intake tube. Remove the Torx screw and you should be able to pull that large silencer straight up and out.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Wrt the transmission shifting issue, the first thing I would do is to adjust the shifter cable attachment to the transmission. In order to do that, locate the end of the shifter cable where it attachs onto the tranny lever, just below the master cylinder in the engine compartment. Move forward about 8 inches and you'll see where the shifter cable is attached to a bracket on the top of the tranny case. You will see a large silver colored staple. Pull the staple part way out or if you pull it all the way out it doesn't matter. Get back in the car and put the shifter in neutral without the car running. Go back to the engine compartment and push the staple back down. Start car and see if it shifts OK. If not, do the process again only this time put the car in park with the staple pulled out and then push staple down again. This is the only adjustment available for the transmission cable. If that doesn't work the only other thing to check is to see if the cable is properly attached to the shifter body in the console. To do that you must remove the trim plate which includes the ashtray. The shifter must be in neutral or a drive gear to get the trim plate out. Also must disconnect the seat heater and traction harness from the switches. (PITA) The cable is on the drivers side and connected to the frame just below the temperature control panel. Good luck

Wrt the transmission shifting issue, the first thing I would do is to adjust the shifter cable attachment to the transmission. In order to do that, locate the end of the shifter cable where it attachs onto the tranny lever, just below the master cylinder in the engine compartment. Move forward about 8 inches and you'll see where the shifter cable is attached to a bracket on the top of the tranny case. You will see a large silver colored staple. Pull the staple part way out or if you pull it all the way out it doesn't matter. Get back in the car and put the shifter in neutral without the car running. Go back to the engine compartment and push the staple back down. Start car and see if it shifts OK. If not, do the process again only this time put the car in park with the staple pulled out and then push staple down again. This is the only adjustment available for the transmission cable. If that doesn't work the only other thing to check is to see if the cable is properly attached to the shifter body in the console. To do that you must remove the trim plate which includes the ashtray. The shifter must be in neutral or a drive gear to get the trim plate out. Also must disconnect the seat heater and traction harness from the switches. (PITA) The cable is on the drivers side and connected to the frame just below the temperature control panel. Good luck

Ok first this is what I love about car forums, being able to ask questions and get answers. So far I have been loving my 01 STS. There are some small things though that I could use help figuring out.

First: when I am shifting into drive the car stays in N until I move the lever about halfway between the D and 3. Just going from Park to Drive it stays in neutral and never gets to D. Ie: its like I am leaving the shifter in N and not on D. Once I move it down a little more it goes into Drive and eveything is fine. Is it possibly just the cable that needs adjusting? If so, how do I do that?

Second: My heated seat on the drivers side doesnt work. I can hear it clicking and trying to go on but it never gets hot. All 3 other seats work fine. Could it just be the fuse, or is my heating element shot? What would it cost to have it fixed?

Third: How do I remove the tube that goes from the MAF to the TB? That big plastic piece on top is in the way and it looks like if I took it off first it would never go back on. Do I take that all out as one peice? Also any warnings before I clean out the TB with some intake cleaner? I know the procedure from my other car, but dont know if there is anything I should avoid with this motor. I have averaged 20mpg so far and think I can squeak a few more mpg out of there. Cleaning the MAF and TB used to do wonders for my other car. I guess I should check my trans fluid when I have that out too.

Hello I have the same 01 STS the only thing I want to comment on is your gas mpgs 20 miles a gallon is 8 more miles per gal than I'm getting I don't have a clue how I could get that kind of mpgs highway city what ever I don't think it's possible I don't care what anyone tells me I've tried everything, Be grateful. Good luck with the ride

Ugh.. Ok so in the process of checking the rear seat fuses I managed to break the passenger side clip. It seemed to have popped off ok, but once the seat was off I saw that it didnt unclip it ripped itself out of the plastic. So now I can add epoxying that back together to my list of little repairs. Obvoiusly the fuse was still good. I also noticed a good amount of corrosion starting to show around the + cable as well. Not too bad but I will probably need to replace that in a few months.

I need to let the car cool off a bit more before I take the air cleaner out and check the cable. I figured that peice would just come off but I didnt want to make it a bigger mess by doing something stupid. Although I think I may know why thats off, I think my trans mount needs to be replaced. The motor moves around a bit when I shift it in and out of PRND. Plus every now and then when accelerating from a light it will give a little weird shift.

Archived