CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Performace Upgrades for 97 STS???

njnick88

I just got a 97 STS and it runs great, but I was looking for some performance upgrades or parts that are available for the Northstar... nearly impossible. Is there anything out there that I don't know about that'll work? Thanks for any help.

I think that unless your a great mechinic and don't mind spending money on fixing things I wouldn't start hammering a 10 year old car adding performance upgrades and driving like it has performance upgrades. Theses are nice comfortable luxury vehicles and should be treated as such. It's a 4000lb car and needs 300 horses just to get up and go. I thought about looking into adding some horsepower and then thought to myself what are you thinking just enjoy the luxury ride that it is. I also own a 06 Nissan Maxima with 265 horses and a cvt tranny it's a rocket and I don't think even if I added a supercharger on my STS it could ever come close to standing up to the maxima. GM makes a race car it it's called a Corvette. I think caddies should be enjoyed as they are. Theres is one exception that new big money STS with 480 horses I think the numbers are aroung 6.1 0-60 thats quick but no where near high end sports car quick.

I was way off on the STS V 0-60 4.8sec

Not looking for an argument just adding my two cents on performance upgrades for Caddys .

Thank you

The STS-V with 469 hp is in the 4.9 second range 0-60. Any modern Corvette would really be huffing it to keep up. Put a driver in there who can't powershift a stick and the Cadillac would leave him.

Your '01 STS is close to 6.1 0-60...actually about 6.5 seconds or so.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The STS-V with 469 hp is in the 4.9 second range 0-60. Any modern Corvette would really be huffing it to keep up. Put a driver in there who can't powershift a stick and the Cadillac would leave him.

Your not serious are you the 2007 06 corvette is listed at 3.7 sec 0-60 at Consumer Guide automotive. It's not even close enough to argue about. I love my STS but a race car it is not nor do I want it to be I love the luxury and don't want to get anywhere fast I enjoy be in the car. I agree the V model must be quick and it should be starting retail is 77k. But your dreaming if you think it's late model corvette quick. The differnece between 4.9 and 3.7 sec as you know is not even close. You can put Dale Jr in the V and I'll drive the 06 vette and I would bet my life I could be him. I've owned 79 vette 90 vette 96 vette and a 00 vette there all made by GM and it's all good.

Your not serious are you the 2007 06 corvette is listed at 3.7 sec 0-60 at Consumer Guide automotive. It's not even close enough to argue about. I love my STS but a race car it is not nor do I want it to be I love the luxury and don't want to get anywhere fast I enjoy be in the car. I agree the V model must be quick and it should be starting retail is 77k. But your dreaming if you think it's late model corvette quick. The differnece between 4.9 and 3.7 sec as you know is not even close. You can put Dale Jr in the V and I'll drive the 06 vette and I would bet my life I could be him. I've owned 79 vette 90 vette 96 vette and a 00 vette there all made by GM and it's all good.

Also I just looked at the V 0-60 times at that consumer guide site and it lists it at 4.8 sec.

Uh, hold it please Peter. You're looking specifically at the brand new 500-hp Z06. I did say "any" modern Corvette, but I should have said "most" modern Corvettes. I'm thinking C5 type material here.

The point is, the 469-hp STS is wicked fast, faster than just about any other vehicle out there...that you'd see on a normal basis anyway.

And I never said your '01 STS was a race car. I agree that it's not. My point was simply that the STS-V is a lot quicker than the 6.1 0-60 that you originally posted...and a lot quicker than MOST cars out there.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Uh, hold it please Peter. You're looking specifically at the brand new 500-hp Z06. I did say "any" modern Corvette, but I should have said "most" modern Corvettes. I'm thinking C5 type material here.

The point is, the 469-hp STS is wicked fast, faster than just about any other vehicle out there...that you'd see on a normal basis anyway.

And I never said your '01 STS was a race car. I agree that it's not. My point was simply that the STS-V is a lot quicker than the 6.1 0-60 that you originally posted...and a lot quicker than MOST cars out there.

Your absolutely right I was way off on the 6.1 the actually figure is 4.7. Believe me that STS V is my dream car and it must go like a bat out of hell. What is your opion on trying to squeeze more horses out of a 97 STS by adding performance upgrades. My only comments were that my thinking is that theses STSs are perfect as they are and I personally wouldn't tinker with these north star motors. My car screws stock as is I just was reminded of this on my way home from work just now when the lady in front of me kept jamming on her brakes for no apparent reason so me getting pissed pulled into the passing lane and tromped on it blowing by her in the blink of an eye. I love the sound that motor makes when your really getting on it. These STSs have more than enough power and speed. With the vettes I've had you can take a sharp corner at 80 miles and hour and feel safe doing it. The lateral Gs they can pull before break free occurs is amazing. It's a whole different breed of animal in my opion it's a race car. Now if I could only have one car the Cadillacs win hands down they have the best of both worlds as far as comfort, luxury, speed, handling and prestige

I also own a 06 Nissan Maxima with 265 horses and a cvt tranny it's a rocket and I don't think even if I added a supercharger on my STS it could ever come close to standing up to the maxima.

:huh: Unless there's something on that maxima your not telling us, I dont see how you find it to be a "rocket" that can blow the doors off a STS, much less a supercharged one.. perhaps you should check out Marks99 turbo STS

I also own a 06 Nissan Maxima with 265 horses and a cvt tranny it's a rocket and I don't think even if I added a supercharger on my STS it could ever come close to standing up to the maxima.

:huh: Unless there's something on that maxima your not telling us, I dont see how you find it to be a "rocket" that can blow the doors off a STS, much less a supercharged one.. perhaps you should check out Marks99 turbo STS

When we first got the Maxima I told my wife my STS would beat it in a race and she laughed. So being a man and we always have to be right with ours wifes I said OK we'll see. The next morning I took the Maxima out for a test ride and I couldn't belive how quick it is. I'm telling you I didn't want to belive it myself nut the car is super quick. Fast forward a few weeks we left the house together early on a Sunday morning there weren't many people on the road. A couple miles from our house we came to a stop light and lined them up. I knew what the result was going to be from already having driven the maxima. Not even close my beloved STS did'nt have a chance in hell my wife out ran me by 5 car lengths we both backed off when we got around 90mph I have a class A CDL to think about.

You can belive whatever you want to belive my thoughts come from a personal experience.

After the novelty of having a new car around wore off I never drive the maxima and stick with my Cadillac because it's more luxurious, stereos better, seats more comfortable and is a better looking car. Me and my wife know who has the fastest car in the family though.

My STS is to heavy to ever challange the Maxima off the line am yes even if paxton made a supercharger for my northstar V8 I belive it would make no difference. As far as I'm concered I live in Worcester, Ma I did'nt look where you live but if you live close enough bring the 99 Turbo STS and bring your wallet.

Archived