CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'95 DeVille radio install

I went to contacted several stores including Car Toys, Best Buy and a local place. Of all these, I'm convinced that only Car Toys new what they were doing. I had the radio already and only wanted an install. The cheapest quote was $160. I did it all for about $50 spent at Wal-Mart.

IPB Image

Original Radio.

IPB Image

Removed: The cables do not go to speakers.

The dash unit only controls the modules and receiver in the trunk. However, you can use these

wires to make non-speaker connections to the trunk by splicing in. I did this for antenna

control--By the way, you need to hook the amp control wire up to the antenna. For some reason, the antenna voltage is not enough.

IPB Image

This is the Scosche dash kit that will

work... with modification.

IPB Image

The trick to wiring this up is getting new

speaker wire from the trunk to the front. To do this you will have to remove the passenger side

door floor panel that runs along the bottom. Then, remove the panel along the right wall below

the passenger dash. This will give you access to the wiring channel that runs all the way to

the trunk. In the above picture, you can see where I have just pulled speaker wire from the

front to the trunk by running a snake (you can get these cheap at Harbor Freight) through the

wiring channel that starts in the lower right side of the trunk.

IPB Image

This is where it comes out near the dash. Attach your wires here and pull 'em through to the trunk. In addition to speaker wire, you will need a 12 foot antenna wire extension to go from the trunk up.

IPB Image

Here is the antenna extension connection. You will need to buy the GM antenna adapter as well. Psosche sells them cheap too, about $5-10 at Wal-Mart

IPB Image

Here are the cables you will have to connect your snaked speaker wire (shown freshly pulled) to. The 2 dangling cables came off the amplifier which is mounted under the rear window dash--between the 6x9's. The way I found which wires went to which speakers was by using an ohmeter to see which wires had 50ohms or less between them. Then I connected them to live speaker wire that was playing static in order to locate the speaker and label the wires for connection.

IPB Image

Top: These are the clips that came off the old head unit. The necessary modification is red circled. This can be done with a Dremel rotary tool.

Bottom: This is the mod you will have to do to the Psosche dash piece--also with the Dremel.

IPB Image

Putting the pieces together.

IPB Image

The finished product.

Any questions?

Nice write up.

Do you have the non-Bose system?

What was your motivation to do this? Were there some features in the replacement unit you preferred?

The kit helped change the 1.5 DIN slot to 1 DIN plus a storage area?

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

micahdaniel,

Talk about answering my quesion before I asked it! How did you know? :blink:

I missed your fine post because it was not on earlier this evening (before 6pm my time).

It seems that you have exactly answered what my son was asking about my '94 Deville Concours, regarding installing a Clarion head unit in place of a non-Bose system.

I guess that I just need to continue to read this forum every few minutes and in particular - before asking a question was exactly answered a few hours earlier? :huh::o

I sent it to him, so perhaps we can figure it out this weekend (with your fine instructions to assist).

I assume your system is working OK and no speaker impedence issues etc?

Thanks again! :D

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Nice write up.

Do you have the non-Bose system?

What was your motivation to do this? Were there some features in the replacement unit you preferred?

The kit helped change the 1.5 DIN slot to 1 DIN plus a storage area?

Bruce,

Yes, I have the non-Bose. I was motivated by the fact that the factory radio only got a few AM stations. There was something wrong with the tuner. Also, I listen to a lot of mp3's that the stations don't play, and I already had the new deck. It came out of the car I had just sold. All the kits that the shops tried to sell me were too narrow. Every single one that claimed to cover my radio was wrong (I bought and returned several). The kit I did get is for GM trucks and did not list my car. Some kits had just a plastic face to cover the space on either side, but I thought, why not have a place to put some change? The kit didn't say what din size it was but my radio is 1 din.

I assume your system is working OK and no speaker impedence issues etc?

Thanks again! :D

TDK,

Yes, my system is working great. No earth shattering bass, but I'm not really into that. When you find all your speaker connections, you'll be faced with the decision of which speakers you want to use. There are 2 on every door and 2 6x9's in the back window sill. Initially I used the 2 larger fronts and the back 6x9's. Later, I made use of an amp I had lying around and used it to power the back 6x9's. That let me use the two main back seat door speakers as well.

Yes, my system is working great. No earth shattering bass, but I'm not really into that.

micahdaniel,

I'm not into "earth shattering bass" either, so I thought you might be just the right person to ask about those rear 6x9 speakers.

My OEM rear 6x9 speakers are clearly *NOT* full range speakers; their treble response is dismal. If I had to listen only to the rears, I'd have to get a Walkman or some such.

I gather from your post you replaced the rears and, I'm guessing, you likely used a more full range speaker in the rear. Yes?

If that is indeed the case, did you find full range speakers in the rear to be an improvement? I've always had it in mind to install full range speakers back there, but I wonder what advantage GM saw in putting the limited range speakers back there. Cost saving comes to mind, as does non-directional bass perception, but I've always suspected it went beyond that.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yes, my system is working great. No earth shattering bass, but I'm not really into that.

micahdaniel,

I'm not into "earth shattering bass" either, so I thought you might be just the right person to ask about those rear 6x9 speakers.

My OEM rear 6x9 speakers are clearly *NOT* full range speakers; their treble response is dismal. If I had to listen only to the rears, I'd have to get a Walkman or some such.

I gather from your post you replaced the rears and, I'm guessing, you likely used a more full range speaker in the rear. Yes?

If that is indeed the case, did you find full range speakers in the rear to be an improvement? I've always had it in mind to install full range speakers back there, but I wonder what advantage GM saw in putting the limited range speakers back there. Cost saving comes to mind, as does non-directional bass perception, but I've always suspected it went beyond that.

Regards,

Warren

No change. My amp gives them 75watts each and they sound fine to me, though they are accompanied by the 4 main door speakers. Perhaps that is why I haven't noticed any treble issues. Though I do admit that most of what I listen to is speech.

The 6x9's are fully exposed when the trunk top cover is release by the four plastic nuts. I can't believe it would be at all difficult to put some new ones in there.

Archived