CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

need transmission help!!!!

jwrichter

Hi all, need some immediate help. Notice "service transmission" on read out on my 2000 sts with 70k. As I was driving her home i experience a very noticeable "hard" shift out of 1st gear. Ran the codes and get P0734, which is "incorrect 4th gear ratio". Anyone have any idea what repairs and cost might be and is it even a consideration to take it to some other than dearlership? Thanks, Jim

Before you consider where and how to repair it, be sure there is a problem.

Clear the code(s) and test drive it. You want to be certain the problem will repeat, consistently.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the advice, went out for test drive after resetting code and it "appears" that everything is ok. Will take it out for longer drive tom. and see. So does the computer have the ability to "reset" itself after appearing to have a shifting problem? Would parking on a relatively severe downslope have cause this to occur? thanks 4 your help, Jim

Codes are relegated to History if they are not set again after so many igintion cycles. And History codes will be erased after another number of ignition cycles. The numbers vary according to what system is affected.

Parking on a severe slope "might" set the code but only because the transmission fluid level was disturbed and not in the right place at the right time. Double check your fluid level with the car on a flat surface, engine idling at operating temperature, and selector in PARK.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived