CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

89 coupe deville

tigertron

Hi guys, do you know the engine options the 89'coupe deville had? also were there any reliability issues with them. A buddy of mine has one that he may sell. it has been sitting for 5 years(stolen recovery) What are the problen areas with this car. I just need to know before i get myself involved with a potentially unreliable car. He has told be that the car came with the 4.5? Aparently it was iron block and head? thanks in advance B)

I believe he is correct. It should have a 4.5, which is a bored out 4.1 (HT4100). It has iron heads and an aluminum block with replacable steel cylinder sleaves. Head gaskets can be a problem (especially if it sat for 5 years). Had a set go on a 4.1 I had. The good new is thet the engine is "north/south" mounted (the way God intended) so the heads can be removed with the engine in the car.

The '89 Coupe DeVille is front wheel drive and has the transverse mounted 4.5 engine with throttle body fuel injection - it is very reliable - one of the car rags had a survey on the most reliable car after 10 years of use and it was a 1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (with the 4.5 engine).

It is hard to say how reliable the car in question since it is 18 years old and has been sitting for 5 years.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hi guys, do you know the engine options the 89'coupe deville had? also were there any reliability issues with them. A buddy of mine has one that he may sell. it has been sitting for 5 years(stolen recovery) What are the problen areas with this car. I just need to know before i get myself involved with a potentially unreliable car. He has told be that the car came with the 4.5? Aparently it was iron block and head? thanks in advance B)

Iron heads/Aluminum block. The main problem with this engine is/was; improper cooling system maintenance and specifically not using the GM-required sealant tabs. The car having been dormant for 5yrs shouldn't pose any problem, assuming there were no problems with it before. Change everyone of the fluids: oil/brake/cooling system/power-steering. Transmission.....well this is a crap-shoot. Draining and replacing the filter/fluid is the thing to do, but do not 'flush' it. If there is a maintenance record, this would be a big help. Check the computer for any trouble codes. If you intend to keep this vehicle and can do your own work, get the Helm service manual. Still available from the Helm website. Don't waste your money on a 'fix-it' manual, get the DeVille Service manual.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Archived