CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Onstar

BUICK11

Our Local newspaper has a article about a couple that is working with a local Attorney to bring a Class action suit against Onstar for not making equipment available to upgrade older equipment to Digital service.

Will advise

Frank

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another example of spoiled self-centered idiots making consumer products more expensive than they need be.

My two year old, $500, once top-of-the-line cellphone is now hopelessly obsolete; I need to sue someone. Yeah, that's it . . . I'll sue.

Sheese!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Casting a big net hoping to catch class action status.

Some of these law firms are struggling to stay in business long enough to figure out who to sue for damages when lightning starts a forest fire.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

A lawsuit of any kind should not be necessary.

Just make the equipment available so people can decide if they want to spend the money to upgradeto Digital.

As I understand the situation it is a elderly couple that enjoy the security of Onstar.

Lawyers are the only winners in Class action suits.

Yet another example of spoiled self-centered idiots making consumer products more expensive than they need be.

My two year old, $500, once top-of-the-line cellphone is now hopelessly obsolete; I need to sue someone. Yeah, that's it . . . I'll sue.

Sheese!

Regards,

Warren

While I have as much disdain as the next guy for lawyers and law suits... I would add that your two year old "outdated" phone still makes calls... (and probably will until you drop it in a puddle :lol: ) Shoot, my wife's once "got to have" 1997 Startac is almost 10 years old, and while it is on its third antenna, it still makes calls and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Its not that Onstar is now obsolete...Its that it in a few months it will no longer work at all.

And its not like we all woke-up one day to discover this new digital cell network, its been around since the mid 90's. We all get the sales pitch that OnStar is state of the art technology and this is the greatest new innovation for the automobile in decades.

And then everyone gets grumpy when people get upset when they discover that the Cell system in their 2001 Onstar car is state of the art circa 1991. After all how was GM to know that they would phase out the analog network... Come on the FCC and the cell phone companies have only been talking about this for, what, 15 years! :lol:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

lawyers are the only winners in ANY legal action. There ought to be a bounty on them.

Dick Cheney shot one and got away with it. He's been my hero ever since. :P:P:P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The problem is that GM not only doesn't make upgrades available, they don't make available information that after market people need to provide an alternative, such as specifications of signals that are used to talk through the stereo, work with the handset, etc. I can see why they wouldn't publish specifications for the PCM but if they aren't interested in the phone updates necessary to have functionality over the life of the car, they may have some obligation under warranty of merchantability to provide data so that others can do so.

I have been struggling with my phone service since 2000, when I moved from the L.A. area to South Jersey in the Philadelphia area. At one point in 2002, I called Cadillac Customer Service through OnStar and asked what the policy was. They told me about the dual analog-digital phones for new models, plans for the future, and all the things that we have discussed here, and their plans unfolded pretty much as I was told.

There was a zinger: at some point, about now, they were planning to "stop supporting those old cars" -- meaning Generation 1, 2, and so on, probably roughly equivalent to all the analog phones. I asked if I could continue, and the GM said no. They simply weren't going to allow me to subscribe anymore.

What has happened is that the discontinuance of analog phone cell service has done it for them. Now, analog cell phone coverage has been getting gradually worse for years, but I haven't seen anything in the news. Is the real news that OnStar is dropping analog service, but not Cingular? If so, the class action may have merit. If it has any chance of success as it goes forward, GM may settle simply by providing interface specifications to after market providers at essentially no cost to anyone.

My plan is TomTom, LoJack, and a Bluetooth phone next year.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Forgot to mention the Attorney is also bringing a class action suit against the cell companies as well, to continue service. (WHEN IN DOUBT SUE EVERYONE)

I know people that like Onstar and would pay a reasonable fee to upgrade their old systems to digital.

Problem is everyone with Analog is finished the end of this year.

Frank

The 04 Pontiac I've been looking at has a TSB in its paperwork letting me know that if I want onstar I will need to buy an upgrade. I guess some vehicles are upgradeable?

Isn't it that all analog cell phone technology will be obsolete? Not just the Onstar system?

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Apparently the analog network will come down as of December 31, if what I am seeing in posts here is correct. The cell phone companies have been trying to quit analog service for years. The FCC has required that providers support analog service as well as digital service. The phone companies don't want two sets of transceivers on their cell phone towers.

I think the future is Bluetooth in the cars, not cell phones. Cadillac is doing that now in some models. This avoids tying a durable goods item like a car to a fast-turnover-technology item like a cell phone.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Your right about that.

got a letter from Verizin Wireless to tell us the end of their Analog service to us is the end of this year..Thus no longer able to communicate with Onstar.

The End

Amen

Isn't it that all analog cell phone technology will be obsolete? Not just the Onstar system?

Yes, but check out your cell phone... All cell phones sold in North America since the Mid 90's have been "tri band" or "dual mode" and will work with both digital and analog networks, most (if not all) cell customers will not notice or be impacted by this switch.

OK "ALL" and "most" aren't true, technically OnStar is a cell phone too and in most GM cars they are Analog only. The only "phones" that will stop working when the analog network dies are the ones in your 2002 Truck and the "bricks" that you see in technology museums.

GM has made one mistake after another with OnStar, the failure to provide upgrades to older vehicles is just the latest...

caddy.jpg

Greg

We have a Retired neighbor with a beautiful 2001 Deville and were advised that car is Analog and not upegradable. At any costs.

While everyone has their own thoughts on Onstar. Some people like it and would like the option of paying to upgrade their cars. Onstar is being unreasable by just saying Good Bye.

I say Give them a price

$500

$1000

$1500

$$$$WHATEVER

Let them make a choice

GM's point of view, They are upgradeable and there is a price...

Its about $50,000 and the upgrade comes complete with a new Deville for free! :lol::lol::lol:

caddy.jpg

Greg

So this means that my 01 suburban, my 02 seville, and my girlfriens 02 evoy will not be able to work at all after this december or whenever they plan on quiting analog? That's nice...I was actually considering having it. I guess that made my decision!! :lol:

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

So this means that my 01 suburban, my 02 seville, and my girlfriens 02 evoy will not be able to work at all after this december or whenever they plan on quiting analog? That's nice...I was actually considering having it. I guess that made my decision!! :lol:

Ya, push the blue button and they will tell you...

I'm betting the answers will be

STS - OK and the rest probably not.

I'd also bet that somewhere in some executive office there is some senior VP who has convinced his boss that this will have On-Star lovers flocking to the dealership to buy new cars...

And just like GM lost market share almost exactly equal to the number of 2000 Oldsmobiles sold when they shut that division down... The number of On-star subscribers that will buy new cars to continue with this service will be a number less then 10.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Sheese!

Regards,

Warren

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Count me in.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

• 1 month later...

It's dated...but the best Dick Cheney joke I heard was this....

"If Dick Cheney goes hunting and shoots someone, it's 6 more weeks of winter."

Anyway...seems I can only post in fast reply mode...

Canada digital yet? Went into Canada 5 years ago and it was solid analog system. Hence my current tri system phone. Digtal dropped out about 10 miles into Canada.

FYI,

I received a letter this week stating that I have an option to have my analog only equipment upgraded at a Cadillac dealership to continue using Onstar after Dec 31, 2007 in my 02 STS for $19 and a one year subscription. So, check with Onstar as this may be an option for you.

Canada digital yet? Went into Canada 5 years ago and it was solid analog system. Hence my current tri system phone. Digital dropped out about 10 miles into Canada.

Depends on where you were in Canada. Most of the "Big" Canadian Cities (Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver) have been digital since aboot 1998/99 Though everywhere in between (and we have lots of in between in Canada) was analog. So if you were camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc... Ya you were on an analog service. There are still LARGE chunks of Canada with no serivce at all.

From what I read oot here Analog will die in Canada on or aboot the same time as it dies in the US. So your Onstar will die here too.

One question I have about this... why the magical date of MY 2002 for upgrades... The wiring in my STS is the same back to 98 and the wiring in a 2002 Eldo, for example, goes back even farther... Why draw the line in the sand at MY 2002... This whole thing makes NO Sense.

caddy.jpg

Greg

FYI,

I received a letter this week stating that I have an option to have my analog only equipment upgraded at a Cadillac dealership to continue using Onstar after Dec 31, 2007 in my 02 STS for $19 and a one year subscription. So, check with Onstar as this may be an option for you.

Could you, and would you mind, posting up a copy of that letter?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived