CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT...my mini-van's check engine light is on.

Off topic I know, but being I trust you guys and wasn't sure where else to turn, I thought I would ask here. I have a '93 Dodge Grand Caravan SE minivan with the 3.3, 170k, and the check engine light is coming on. It comes on once it warms up and is off in the mornings. Once the light is on, it misses slightly (stumbles) between 30-50 mph. The idle also surges up and down once warmed up (not sure if it does that everytime once warmed up). I can't tell if it's an electrical miss, EGR or fuel related. Any thought where to start troubleshooting? The coolant level is correct and it's not overheating. I'm thinking EGR possibly because it acts up once warmed. I had the leaking fuel rail replaced last month and I started having this problem a week later...coincidence??? Could it possible be a leak in the intake manifold (plenum) gasket that was supposedly replaced with the fuel rail replacement or an injector/O-ring? I can't recall changing the plugs or wires, but may have in the distant past. It starts fast & easy. I'm thinking plugs/wires could cause the miss, but why only once it has warmed and could they cause the idle to surge up & down? Then again there may be 2 problems going on at once. I'm not sure if both of those symptoms (miss & idle surge) began at the same time. We've had this van for 7 years and she's been really good to us. She's on her last leg I know being she has a few other problems, but I need to keep her running as long as possible w/o incurring any major expenses. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

I'm not sure, but maybe it could be an O2 sensor acting up when it gets to closed loop? Someone else will chime in.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I would first go to your local auto zone or parts store and have them pull the code so you have somewhere to start from. It is free if they read the codes. could be a number of things.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I knew AZ checked batteries, alternators and starters, but didn't know they checked codes as well. Thanks for the tip Caddynut! :) I'll go see them tomorrow. Hopefully it's something simple...that's easy to get to. ;)

I hope you're right 02whiteSTS, an O2 sensor should be an easy, inexpensive fix. :unsure:

I have used their code services MANY times for all of my cars. I ended up buying OBD I and OBDII code readers since I have a million cars. :D

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

• 1 month later...

Update. Turns out it was my O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor. Both were fairly easy to replace. The EGR valve was also listed as a code, but I'm not worried about that at this time as it doesn't effect much (unlike the Caddy). No check engine light so far and runs much better. Autozone didn't have an OBD I scanner, so I found a shop to read the codes...no charge.

Archived