CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Time To Replace Transaxle

MAC

I'm seriously looking for a remanufactured or rebuild 4T80E transaxle for my 94 Eldorado (270 HP, VIN Y, 3.11 gr). I would appreciate any suggestions.

You can get a new GM transaxle from GM parts direct for $2328.25 including shipping. There's a $700 core charge also. There are several rebuilds on e-bay for half that, however they ALL have negative feedback for not returning core charges ($300 to $700) and not honering warranty's. As big a job as it is to replace this unit, I would go with the new GM part.

You can get a new GM transaxle from GM parts direct for $2328.25 including shipping. There's a $700 core charge also. There are several rebuilds on e-bay for half that, however they ALL have negative feedback for not returning core charges ($300 to $700) and not honering warranty's. As big a job as it is to replace this unit, I would go with the new GM part.

Thanks for the info. I'm checking around for the best price I can find for a new one. I'm concerned, however, that a new OEM may have the same weaknesses that caused the P039 code/torque converter problem, which is the reason why I'm looking to replace the trans. A quality remanufactured may be more reliable if parts are upgraded.

The date of manufacture of the new transmission will reflect any parts or design upgrades. A Jasper remanufactured 4T80E is more like $3800, so the dealer new cost of $2800 looks good to me.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm concerned, however, that a new OEM may have the same weaknesses that caused the P039 code/torque converter problem, which is the reason why I'm looking to replace the trans. A quality remanufactured may be more reliable if parts are upgraded.

You might want to look into having your existing torque converter rebuilt and beefed up. There are racing shops that specialize in beefing up torque converters. They'll open up a torque converter up and install larger lock up friction plates as well as connect all the fins together with a plate to significantly strengthen it. The last torque converter I had done cost around $200 to do the job which I thought wasn't too bad.

IPB Image

Thanks for the info. I'm checking around for the best price I can find for a new one. I'm concerned, however, that a new OEM may have the same weaknesses that caused the P039 code/torque converter problem, which is the reason why I'm looking to replace the trans. A quality remanufactured may be more reliable if parts are upgraded.

There is actually something you can do with your PCM to stop that code. I read somewhere on a forum once that the computer is detecting a little slip and that's why it throws the code. They also went on to say that the OEM PCM give absolutely no leniency in slipping. There is an updated prom that you can put in your PCM to make it so it doesn't go off for the tiniest little slip. I've heard that it works great! Try searching for it somewhere on the web, I actually have the part. I was going to put it in my 95 SLS, but I sold the car before I got the chance. I'm pretty sure it's the same for most of them, let me know if you want it. It was originally $60, but I'll take much less. I have to find it first... ;)

Just found the link to where I found out about it:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howtop039.htm

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Of course, now would be the ideal time to install a limited slip differential, but you know that. Don't you?

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...hl=limited+slip

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Here's the TSB for the P039 code.

TSB# 87-65-17

DTC P039 Set When Driving Up Slight Grade After Cold Start

Subject:

DTC P039 Set When Driving Up Slight Grade After Cold Start

(Diagnose/Install New PCM)

Models:

1993-95 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville 1994-95 Cadillac Concours,

Deville With 4.6L Engine (Vin Y - RPO LD8)

Condition:

DTC P039, Torque Converter Clutch Engagment, May Set When

Driving Up A Slight Grade After A Cold Start.

Correction:

A PCM Calibration Enhancement Has Been Released For The Above

Listed Vehicles. If A Vehicle Is Encountered With This

Condition, And All Of The Diagnostic Procedures Listed In The

Service Manual Have Been Performed With No Resulting Correction,

Then Update The Vehicle With The Applicable Calibration Listed

Below.

Parts Information:

Part Number Description 16266755 1993 PCM PROM, 16266762 1994

PCM PROM, 16266767 1995 PCM PROM

Regarding installing a different PCM, I did read about it. But I also read that it may work for a while then the problem will reappear. The problem I'm having is the torque converter is not locking up. This could be due to low line pressure and/or defective torque converter solenoid. Whatever the problem is, I want it fixed. Under brisk acceleration the trans will slip so I’m loosing horsepower and gas mileage. I’ve driven over 100,000 miles with the P039 problem—I wonder how much money has been wasted due to trans slipping? I know I’m not getting the gas mileage I should be if the trans was healthy. With gas prices getting higher and my desire to keep my Eldorado for the foreseeable future, it’s time to address this annoying problem.

Archived