CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ABS and Traction Control Light- Intermittant

This also came on with C1217 once. My brakes don't seem to feel any different but the vehicle will do the classic lock you out of first gear thing disable traction control with the ABS and Traction Lights on.

The first time these lights came on was coming out of the grocery store on a vary rainy day, and also the warmest so far this spring season.

I did hit some standing water with splashed up on the air box side. Starting the car up after leaving a friends house the car then returned to normal.

Today when I was getting ready to leave work, another day of driving in the rain, the lights came on again, but turning the car off and turning it back on rectified the situation.

I Have the FSM manual and am guessing this pump (and the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module) is under the airbox in PCM area. I can't really figure out its location. Manual just says "Engine Compartment, in the Left Front Corner" and "Left front corner of the engine compartment, on the brake pressure modulator valve".

I haven't really torn into it much yet, other than checking the fuses and preforming the flowchart.

I'll check for any other history codes but it would seem to be that this pump might be on its way out. Could also be that since I've neglected the brake fluid change the warmer weather may be doing something to loosen up some goop and clog it.

After work I'll see about changing the fluid. Have a thing of the Valvoline "better than dot 3 and dot 4" fluid in my truck that I guess I'll use.

Anyone with experience with this code?

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I Have the FSM manual and am guessing this pump (and the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module) is under the airbox in PCM area. I can't really figure out its location.

Follow the brake lines from the master cylinder to it. Check the wheel speed sensor plugs for moisture first. Give then a shot of WD40.

Had a similar experience on a '97 after engine R&R.

Make sure the car is cooled off. You can get burned when working in this area.

The module is located on the engine cradle in front of the tranny, just before the radiator and very close to the front exhaust pipe. It's easier to see and reach if you pull the air filter / PCM box out of the way. Don't forget to disconnect the air temp sensor on the air filter box when you do this.

The connector is on the front of the ABS unit and faces toward the radiator and pointing slightly toward the front of the passenger side. This is a hand bail military-type connector.

Clean all the junk away from the connector area with a brush and rag. Remove the locking clip and move the hand bail (toward the radiator) to move the connector, then bring it home again to seat the connector and replace the locking tab.

Check the ground wire at the back end of the electric motor housing to make sure it's still intact. This runs from one of the motor assembly bolts to a ground bolt on the cradle as I recall.

These are quick checks for basic electrical connections. If these don't work, you need to dig a little deeper and look at the wheel sensors.

Hope this helps. :)

So far so good even after a couple car washes. Just for good measure I did exchange the brake fluid (well some it) with the turkey baster method. Will do a full bleed when I have more time. Sucked out and poured in the fluid over and over a few times to get as much as I could.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Thats good info to have i've been searching the threads and the web trying to find the location of my EBTCModule. My trac lights been on since I got my car. I'll check the connections tommorow. Thanks guys.

Everyday Is Saturday!

• 2 months later...

Intermittent problem is no longer intermittent. When ahead and did as much checking as I could in the FSM but all in all couldn't really do a through check. From what I had done it appeared that I would need to replace it.

Father took it to the dealer, confirmed my assumption...quoted him $3000! dollars for a replacement, $800 for a junkyard part that would have no service guarantee. I haven't heard of this modules/pumps going so maybe the junkyard route isn't so bad. My dad has quickly shifted into buying a certified used car mode, but I told him let me look into it a bit more. This news comes less than one month after he has made his last payment on this one.

For now he plans to drive it around w/o ABS or traction control and w/ 2nd gear starts. It hurts me to see the caddy this way but WOW guess we drew the short straw on what parts would go. The head gaskets are in my prayers :P Car has just hit the 100,000 mile mark, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come...from this board I believe no but it does make one consider the next step of suspension and other drive train problems that could be on the horizon.

However, now that summer is here that means weather that is favorable to work on the car myself. Part number hunting I go :) The PDF I have asks about active breaking? I assume I don't have that as that would be a stabiltrax feature right?

I think I need part number 25731523 and 9376714...unless the first part number is for both "halves" of the unit. This is just another reason to buy a post 2000 vehicle, that module is cheaper to replace and more reliable from what I gather...also doesn't require anything special to check it for failures.

The Green's Machines

Archived