CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 DeVille fuel pump ?

nauc

wheres this thing located, think its going out on me, cause if i have about a half a tank of gas or less, it hesitates when accelerating, already changed out the fuel filter, plugs i think are ok, now its hard to start

thanks

The pump is conviently located INSIDE the fuel tank.

I suggest you do a perssure test,

But as your problem is influenced by fuel level, it may be necesary to do readings with full and at problematic level, could be a problem with pickup but that is also in tank,

My experiance is they fail when tank is full, just to make the job more fun.

PS..... fuel pumps are one of the parts that its strongly reccomended you replace with a OEM unit.

The pump is conviently located INSIDE the fuel tank.

I suggest you do a perssure test,

But as your problem is influenced by fuel level, it may be necesary to do readings with full and at problematic level, could be a problem with pickup but that is also in tank,

My experiance is they fail when tank is full, just to make the job more fun.

PS..... fuel pumps are one of the parts that its strongly reccomended you replace with a OEM unit.

great, i was hoping my fuel pump WASNT in the tank

:D I always thought that was annoying too. I've had to replace 3 of them (on 3 different vehicles) in 1 year. I am really getting sick of pulling tanks...

My 84 suburban has an electric pump on the outside of the tank though...you wouldn't want it there. That is the noisest thing I have ever heard!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Check the FPR first. Early 90's Devilles have been known to have bad tank baffles, so when turning or accelerating with a low tank (usually 1/4 or less has been reported to be problematic) the fuel sloshes away from the pick up causing fuel starvation. Just something else to consider.

Check the FPR first. Early 90's Devilles have been known to have bad tank baffles, so when turning or accelerating with a low tank (usually 1/4 or less has been reported to be problematic) the fuel sloshes away from the pick up causing fuel starvation. Just something else to consider.

also when i brake hard with less than a half a tank, the engine sometimes dies

ps, whats a FPR, i know almost nothing about cars, just trying to make this car last a few more months until i get a new one, trying not to spend much, saving all i can for the new car

whats a FPR

Fuel Pressure Regulator. It is a small canister mounted on the fuel rail with a vacuum hose attached to the top. Pull the vacuum hose and plug it with your finger while the engine is idling. Look for fuel leaking from the nipple. There should be none.

whats a FPR

Fuel Pressure Regulator. It is a small canister mounted on the fuel rail with a vacuum hose attached to the top. Pull the vacuum hose and plug it with your finger while the engine is idling. Look for fuel leaking from the nipple. There should be none.

lol, whoops, forgot to say, i cant even get it started, its SO close but nothing

In that case, just turn the key on to energize the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel system. Assuming that the fuel pump is working. If you open the filler cap and place your ear to it while someone turns the key on, you should be able to hear the pump run for about 2 seconds.

In that case, just turn the key on to energize the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel system. Assuming that the fuel pump is working. If you open the filler cap and place your ear to it while someone turns the key on, you should be able to hear the pump run for about 2 seconds.

ok, i'll have to wait a day or 2, its raining

thank you very much for helping

A last chance effort to get pump to run.... try before towing $$ to shop.

Give a good rap with fist to bottom of tank.....the motion "sometimes" will move the pump motor onto a good segment and get you going........ but do not turn it off again...

IF the pump is the culprit use a AC/Delco repalcement....

I think Ranger is right about the tank baffles - since the car also dies on hard breaking, that would seem to rule out the fuel pump as it is not under heavy load at that point.

You're going to have to drop the tank and remove the sending unit to check out the baffles. If the car has a lot of miles on it, it may make sense to put a new fuel pump in it while you have the tank lowered.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think Ranger is right about the tank baffles - since the car also dies on hard breaking, that would seem to rule out the fuel pump as it is not under heavy load at that point.

You're going to have to drop the tank and remove the sending unit to check out the baffles. If the car has a lot of miles on it, it may make sense to put a new fuel pump in it while you have the tank lowered.

car has around 160,000 miles on it, had it smogged like a month ago, the mechanic changed the #5 and #7 plug which made it run a lot better but now i cant get it to start, lol

i dont mind spending a little on it, just dont want to replace something unless i have to

There was an earlier thread about this, you can do a search.

Dropping the tank isn't that big of a deal on the 92 and 93 Devilles. I've done it with a couple of jackstands and a floor jack.

I had a problem with the tank in my 93 Deville. I wasn't sure if it was the tank, sock, or the pump. Rather than deal with an ad-hoc home repair, I just went to the junkyard and got another tank - sender unit, pump, and all. Taking it out in my driveway wasn't a big deal. Putting the replacement tank in was even a lesser deal.

There are so many older Caddies in the junk yards, it shouldn't be hard to find an entire gas tank including the pump and sender unit. The entire tank assembly cost me about $75.

I had to drop the rear half of the exhaust to make room. Two bolts on the two straps and the thing just dropped out. I partially lowered it to make room for my hands to reach in so I could disconnect the fuel line quik-connects and the electrical connections. I made sure the tank was empty first.

It's easy to get all the fuel out. Siphon as much as you can from the fuel filler. Next, you'll find a little pigtail wire coming out of the right front strut tower area under the hood. Put that to +12v - that will engage the fuel pump relay. Before you do that, disconnect a fuel line at the engine at the quick disconnects. Run that into a container with a hose. Connect that pigtail to +12v and wait until the tank is empty.

Here's another post I had regarding tank/fuel pump problems (see post #5):

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=gas+tank

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

There was an earlier thread about this, you can do a search.

Dropping the tank isn't that big of a deal on the 92 and 93 Devilles. I've done it with a couple of jackstands and a floor jack.

I had a problem with the tank in my 93 Deville. I wasn't sure if it was the tank, sock, or the pump. Rather than deal with an ad-hoc home repair, I just went to the junkyard and got another tank - sender unit, pump, and all. Taking it out in my driveway wasn't a big deal. Putting the replacement tank in was even a lesser deal.

There are so many older Caddies in the junk yards, it shouldn't be hard to find an entire gas tank including the pump and sender unit. The entire tank assembly cost me about $75.

I had to drop the rear half of the exhaust to make room. Two bolts on the two straps and the thing just dropped out. I partially lowered it to make room for my hands to reach in so I could disconnect the fuel line quik-connects and the electrical connections. I made sure the tank was empty first.

It's easy to get all the fuel out. Siphon as much as you can from the fuel filler. Next, you'll find a little pigtail wire coming out of the right front strut tower area under the hood. Put that to +12v - that will engage the fuel pump relay. Before you do that, disconnect a fuel line at the engine at the quick disconnects. Run that into a container with a hose. Connect that pigtail to +12v and wait until the tank is empty.

Here's another post I had regarding tank/fuel pump problems (see post #5):

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=gas+tank

cool, thanks thu

Archived