CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gas consumption

Peter1972

I just posted the water in the trunk question. Here's another one I'm wondering if any other owners of the 01 STS are getting the same gas mileage as me I'm getting around 12 miles per gallon according to the on board computer and that's being careful not to tromp on the gas when starting off. I have no reason to go on the highway much I live and work here in the city. This is all around city driving. :(

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds a little low to me. Unless your stop and go driving all the time. I think she needs a good Hwy run with lots of WOT's

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

It seems like idling really hurts fuel economy on these cars. I notice that my 93 Northstar Allante eats up a lot more gas around town than my 88 4.5L Eldorado. For example on my Allante, I get 27 mpg highway but 15 around town. With the same driving, my Eldorado will get 27 highway and 20 around town. Could it be due to more cam overlap on the Northstar engine to achieve 300 hp?

IPB Image

I get the same mileage around town. That was when it was cold though, I haven't checked it yet when it's warm outside, since it hasn't gotten warm yet...I'm guessing mine in the summer will probably be 14 if I'm lucky. I really think they should not have rated the STS the same as the SLS if they were known to get worse mileage. I had high hopes of getting 18 in town and 27 on the highway, or at least somewhere around that.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

If you want a car that gets good gas mileage around town, buy a hybrid. This car was made for the highway. At 60 mph level road, I get 30 mpg. On the highway at 72, I get 25 - 27. Nuf said.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Turn the auto A/C off and drive around town like grandma and you should be able to almost get 16mpg :lol:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

If you want a car that gets good gas mileage around town, buy a hybrid. This car was made for the highway. At 60 mph level road, I get 30 mpg. On the highway at 72, I get 25 - 27. Nuf said.

Hybrid, I'm waiting for the Hydrogen vehicles to come out maybe by 2020 I'll be buying a Cadillac Hydrogen STS I can't wait by then the gas will cost 5 bucks per gallon. But for right now I happy taking my wife's 06 Nissan Maxima on long trips it's getting 27mpg and it's also a rocket and I hate to say no STS except the 480 hp model can stand up to it.

Turn the auto A/C off and drive around town like grandma and you should be able to almost get 16mpg :lol:

Thats great something to look foward to driving like an old lady just to gat 16mpgs

1998 SLS and driving slow without A/C I get 15-16 MPG city driving. Highway is high 20's

I basically decided to just drive like a normal person and just end up paying $250 more per year on gas. Might as well enjoy the car and drive the way it should be driven

Peter mine's an 02 sts . I drive 47 miles one way to work. Over this winter my DIC says 19.5 , lots of idle time. During summer it goes up to 20.5 - 20.9 . Mostly easy throttle. Occasional wot! I live in the suburbs work in the suburbs so i guess you could call it city driving kinda. I leave it running when i stop at white hen for a coffee, warm it up 5-10 min. in the morning .LIke that

I just posted the water in the trunk question. Here's another one I'm wondering if any other owners of the 01 STS are getting the same gas mileage as me I'm getting around 12 miles per gallon according to the on board computer and that's being careful not to tromp on the gas when starting off. I have no reason to go on the highway much I live and work here in the city. This is all around city driving. :(

Are you sure that's not a Hummer you're driving? ;)

When was the last time you had a tune-up? Is the air filter clean--what about plugs?

With the current price of gas being so high, if that were my gas mileage I would saw a hole in the floor and drive like Fred Flinstone. ;)

Where I live it costs almost $75 a tank to fill... :angry:

Just part of the price of admission... I still drive it like I just stole it! B)

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

$75? Is that Canadian dollars? So that's about $5 US right? :lol: I'm just kidding!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

In my older (93) STS, I average 12MPG city driving in the winter, and closer to 15 in the summer, fairly aggressive.

Really hurts at the pumps, especially at $1/L (~$3.25USD/gallon)!

Luckily, I average low 20s on the highway to even things out a little.

-Chris

my 2000 Eldo avgs 14 in the city, but if you look at your instant miles to gallon you will realize that when you take off from a stop you get about 7 mpg then once rolling it goes way up but by then your stoppping again.

So you can see why your mileage sucks, you get on the freeway for several miles and your avg mpg will go up.

I actually get fairly decent mileage in town, but since there is so many stop lights/stop signs, it ends up being really crappy.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I think it would be more informative to list with your AVG MPG the AVG MPH, say between two fill-ups, as the AVG MPH is a number while the Hwy, City, Burbs, etc. aren't well-defined. Of course even with that, there are several contributing factors, such as terrain, wind, temperature, driving habits, weight, tires-n-roads... but it would be one step closer to being "scientific/quantitative".

P.S.: I get about 19.5 mpg at about 35 mph in my '97 STS.

I average 18 MPG with my 1996 El Dorado ETC. I get over 23 MPG highway at about 75 MPH. It goes up a bit more if I up it to 80 MPH. These cars like to go fast.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

That's about what I get as well, in my '01 STS. If the going is real slow (a lot of red lights), I'll get as low as 17-18. Usually around 19-20 in town so far. Highway average is about 25 mpg, but that's driving 75 mph+ with a good headwind.

My '97 SLS got even better, about 20 in town and 30 on the highway.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

That's about what I get as well, in my '01 STS. If the going is real slow (a lot of red lights), I'll get as low as 17-18. Usually around 19-20 in town so far. Highway average is about 25 mpg, but that's driving 75 mph+ with a good headwind.

The best I can get is 13.1 and that's always driving in OD rather than 3rd and stepping on the gas pedal as easy as I can when starting off and while driving.

The best I can get is 13.1 and that's always driving in OD rather than 3rd and stepping on the gas pedal as easy as I can when starting off and while driving.

That's all in-town, correct?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Turn you DIC to instant mpg, and you will notice when you gradually take off you get lower mpg for a longer period, if you get up to speed quicker you lose a mile or 2 to gallon but then you get a higher mpg after. I don't think babying the gas helps mpg much on these heavy cars,once you have the weight moving they use less gas, thats why thier freeway mpg is so much better because you use alot of fuel to get moving, once their is no load on the motor fuel consumption drops quite a bit

Turn you DIC to instant mpg, and you will notice when you gradually take off you get lower mpg for a longer period, if you get up to speed quicker you lose a mile or 2 to gallon but then you get a higher mpg after. I don't think babying the gas helps mpg much on these heavy cars,once you have the weight moving they use less gas, thats why thier freeway mpg is so much better because you use alot of fuel to get moving, once their is no load on the motor fuel consumption drops quite a bit

I thought that once myself that maybe if I use a little heavier accelartion to get to speed that I'd end up getting better in the end. I tried it in my suburban and my mileage stayed about the same, if not a little better. So that goes to tell you that what caddypete just said is more than likely true.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Accelerating briskly (within reason) does tend to reduce pumping losses, but the key is to keep braking to an absolute minimum. Look far ahead and learn to anticipate traffic patterns; as soon as a reduction in speed is deemed to be prudent, close the throttle and coast.

Also, don't operate the engine unnecessarily. Idling equates to zero miles per gallon! Most cars should be able to drive away after 10 seconds of idling, plus, applying a light load will warm-up the engine more quickly, minimising operation during the fuel enrichment period.

Yes thats all city driving but when I say city I'm not talking Boston type stop and go, Wor pop 176,000. a mixture of driving but almost no highway. I'm still getting 13 avg and the more the gas prices keep going up the more the Cadillac stays parked and the new Nissan goes out. And thats a shame because I enjoy driving my STS pure luxury I love driving it. Maybe I need a tune up if people with the same car are telling me their getting 18-20 mpgs.

Archived