CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

random multiple misfire - 98 SLS

daniel812

I dont have any codes stored in memory, but when I hook up the scanner I see it counting random misfires but it wont say which cylinders. Its a 98 SLS with 50k miles. I already did complete tune-up, cleaned IAC and throttle body. Any ideas??

FIRST is the vehicle running good and NOT setting a p0300, ???

yes-- no??

IF YES >>>>For now, I would disreguard thr counter, the system must reach a threshold for setting a code, you are likely seeing the monitors working.

second what scanner are you using??

PS... those parts were AC Delco???

List any other aftermarket parts or add on's??

The plugs were AC Delco, not sure about the wires. There is no scanner codes and no codes when I tested it though the car computer. I have a snap on scanner and also a Matco scanner and they read identical. It shows random multiple cylinder misfire but I assume its not bad enough to trigger a code. You do feel it at idle and when first started, not when you drive. I did the complete tune-up, cleaned the IAC and Throttle body and replaced the TPS to no avail. The problem feels the same like before doing this work

The plugs were AC Delco, not sure about the wires. There is no scanner codes and no codes when I tested it though the car computer. I have a snap on scanner and also a Matco scanner and they read identical. It shows random multiple cylinder misfire but I assume its not bad enough to trigger a code. You do feel it at idle and when first started, not when you drive. I did the complete tune-up, cleaned the IAC and Throttle body and replaced the TPS to no avail. The problem feels the same like before doing this work

When you say "complete tune up", did that include replacement of the plug wires with Delco parts?

Plenty of problems have been encountered with aftermarket wires.

Archived