CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Road Trip

JasonA

Took our first road trip in the 2001 this weekend. Drove down to Florida for a much needed weekend of R&R. 8 hour drive each way. We averaged 23.0 mpg on the entire trip, which was pretty good I guess. I had the cruise set on 76 the whole time, and saw speeds quite a bit higher depending on local traffic conditions. Took it up to 102 once, just to say I did.

Tires need balancing. There's no 65-70 shimmy so much, but there is a vibration in the 72-75 mph range. Not bad, but annoying at times. No biggie, I've never had the tires balanced, and one doesn't even have a weight on it, so I have no idea of the state of balance of these things. Other than that, it was a smooth and stable ride. Turned 58k miles on the way back home.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The critical speeds for me were between 68 -72, tapering off as the speeds went higher. I think you're going to be dealing with out of round tires requiring road force balancing. One tip off, that was somewhat evident when I had my problem, was that the amount of shake would sort of "cycle" through the car, never being able to pinpoint the exact tire, or even whether it was on the front or rear of the car.

Anyway, there is a ton of info here on RFB, don't give up, because it is much easier on expensive suspension parts once the tires are running true. Aside from the obvious, of course.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

.... We averaged 23.0 mpg on the entire trip, which was pretty good I guess.
When you factor in whatever city driving you did, that is a respectable number. I am not a light foot with mine and my (spreadsheet) average for the first 152,000 miles has been 21.1.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The critical speeds for me were between 68 -72, tapering off as the speeds went higher. I think you're going to be dealing with out of round tires requiring road force balancing. One tip off, that was somewhat evident when I had my problem, was that the amount of shake would sort of "cycle" through the car, never being able to pinpoint the exact tire, or even whether it was on the front or rear of the car.

Anyway, there is a ton of info here on RFB, don't give up, because it is much easier on expensive suspension parts once the tires are running true. Aside from the obvious, of course.

When I first got the car, I could feel some imbalance in the front, with a little steering wheel shake. The dealership rotated the tires to isolate a noise that I thought was a wheel bearing, and now the noise is gone, and the imbalance has seemed to move rearward. The shake seems to be in the seats/floor mostly...or at least that's where it's felt. I'm thinking that I might skip the spin balancing all together and go straight for the road force balance.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived