CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Second Vehicle

I've been looking around and am amazed at the recent surge of gas prices bringing down my "dream cars" sticker price.

Currently I'm looking at getting an Eldorado. I have some money put aside that I have been building up, and an Eldorado's is something that I have wanted just about forever...it would look good next to my fathers Deville in the driveway.

I've been looking at primarily 2000 and up vehicles, but It's not out of the question for a 1998 Eldo since it shares a FSM with my 98 Deville :)

What are some of the key things I should look out for?

My list right now is:

Service History:

-Coolant Changed on time

-Oil Changes? 3000 or appear to following the OLM

-Crankshaft Position Sensors

Other than that I have read eldo problem threads on the board but their doesn't seem to be much else to really look at.

Also can you still check the codes as easy as the off and warmer buttons with the 2000+Eldos?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I just saw a nice RED one hit the used lot at the local dealership yesterday, would you like me to check it out for you? It's in Marietta Ohio.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Don't be affraid to play the high-cost-of-gas card. I did when gas prices spiked last August and got my Deville for a very good price!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I'll give that a try Poobah.

If you want an excuse to look at the toys and test drive a vehicle, you can look it over Johnny, my area seems to have a fair share on the market. There's a black on black that has a very good service history that I'm currently eying.

Since I work construction do any of you have experiance with the caddy mud flaps? In the summer that would help keep the car a bit cleaner and stop the stones from kicking up, in the winter I may take them off since it looks like they may just be a place for snow to build up.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Well the black on black I was looking at is somewhat high in mileage, over 85,000 miles:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...=&cardist=2

I've been thinking about maybe looking for the Bonneville with the Northstar.

The Green's Machines

Yeah but for everyday commuting and sometimes stop and go wear and tear will add up fast, how quick will the repairs start piling up?

I'd have to get it up on a rack and really look it over.

The Green's Machines

If you want an excuse to look at the toys and test drive a vehicle, you can look it over Johnny, my area seems to have a fair share on the market. There's a black on black that has a very good service history that I'm currently eying.

Even though I don't need an excuse to play with the toys, I checked out the Eldo anyway. I found out that it was a 1999 ETC. That's a good thing, ETC's were the Touring Coupes, giving them the perforated leather seats like in my 1999 Seville STS. H rated tires.

Unfortunately, that's where the similarities end. The '99 Eldo is JUNK compared to the '99 STS.

Old style square headlights, non electroluminescent dash gauges, non-ergonomic cruise control, no toys at ALL! It also needed an alignment and new front tires. I didn't even ask the price.

Plus this one had some body scrapes, a wet trunk, indeterminable color of coolant, and 76,000 miles.

On the plus side, it did have a nice sunroof, and really nice emblem on the trunk (which closed itself BTW :) )

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Unfortunately, that's where the similarities end. The '99 Eldo is JUNK compared to the '99 STS.

Old style square headlights, non electroluminescent dash gauges, non-ergonomic cruise control, no toys at ALL! It also needed an alignment and new front tires. I didn't even ask the price.

That's the E/K chassis. The ETC should be very quick...quicker than a like-year G chassis Seville since the G chassis Sevilles porked out about 300 pounds.

EGreen, I'd concentrate on 2000+ Eldorados. They'll have the benefits of the "2nd generation" Northstar....and will probably get the best mileage of most any Northstar vehicle.

A Bonneville GXP with the Northstar would be nice (275 hp engine with the 3.71 final drive), but the Pontiac is no Cadillac. Weird interior styling.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I've "stepped down" a level. Weighing the cost of gasoline (my commute can be 30mins) I know the Northstar is fuel efficient (get 17-19 city/highway) but the 3800 Supercharged in the Pontiac Grand Prix's make near Northstar power (260HP/280LB-FT) and in general that car would be less costly to maintain. I could also buy newer and with less mileage.

The 3800 has been praised and the SC version supposedly can now be run on regular fuel but still even if premium is required I would still be using less fuel overall. (the engine is rated at 19-28

With that said I would still be a board frequenter (also will find a Pontiac board) since I know the Deville and the knowledge I have about it will keep my coming back :) Also for long trips I'm sure we'll take the caddy since I don't remember a car this comfortable to go 7+ hours in.

For now I've decided not to go with an Eldorado since I usually end up being a taxi for my brother, his friends, and sometimes DD. Four doors can be useful.

Guess that 19 year old that I am is winning this battle :P

Now if I could get a CTS that might be a differant story but the Pontiac still offers the "stuff" I want....speed and cheap :P

The Green's Machines

I briefly looked at Buick Park Avenue Ultras before I bought my 2001 STS. The S/C 3800 is a good engine, but it's not a Northstar. The difference in mileage should be negligible, but you'll definitely be able to find one cheaper. I think you'll miss the Cadillac style, but it sounds like we've already lost ya. ;)

I agree -- a 2-door coupe is so impractical for everyday use, I'm not surprised the Eldo isn't made anymore, or the 2-door Grand Prix for that matter. You're making the right decision (regarding door count).

The 3800 has been praised and the SC version supposedly can now be run on regular fuel but still even if premium is required I would still be using less fuel overall. (the engine is rated at 19-28

In the performance department the 3.8 S/C doesn't take a back seat to a Northstar (either flavor, top end governor configuration notwithstanding). Those things will get up and go and stay pretty much neck-n-neck with each other and you'll definately get better fuel mileage to boot. We used to own a 98 Bonneville SSEi. The weak link with those cars (Buick Regal GS, Buick Riveria, Buick Roadmaster Ultra, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, Pontiac Bonneville SSEi) is the transmission if its been through a lot of heavy right feet, along with CV joints as such.

Jim

In the performance department the 3.8 S/C doesn't take a back seat to a Northstar (either flavor, top end governor configuration notwithstanding). Those things will get up and go and stay pretty much neck-n-neck with each other and you'll definately get better fuel mileage to boot. We used to own a 98 Bonneville SSEi. The weak link with those cars (Buick Regal GS, Buick Riveria, Buick Park Avenue Ultra, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and later on the Chevrolet Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS) is the transmission if its been through a lot of heavy right feet, along with CV joints as such.

Jim

Yeah I'm not to fond of those trannys. I had one myself and I will never get one again. I had all sorts of troubles. If you get a +03 then you're ok. They did a bunch of changes then.

I was thinking the same thing you were, EGreen, so I had sold my 95 SLS and went to a monte carlo SS. Worst mistake I ever made. It was fun to drive, but it was no cadillac. The ride was not comparable and the northstar still has more hop to it. I also had lots of tranny problems that didn't help me out, but that is whey I went back to a caddy. Just couldn't get away from the northstar. If you leave the northstar and get a grand prix or whatever (very nice cars I might add) you will be wanting your northstar back in a hurry. What you save on gas isn't worth it! I only got 14 in town with my monte carlo. Yes, I was driving it hard, but still is near what I get with my northstar.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Still keeping my options open, didn't know about that transmission problem. Right now I'm looking at a black GTP. Will test drive it tommorow and see how it fares. After work swung by to take a peak at it (dealer was already closed) and it looks like the tail pipes have a bit of carbon on them...either indicates it was driven to hell and back or not enough I suppose.

Anyway to check the codes on a Pontiac other than a scan tool? Be nice to see what it comes up with, with what you've guys said if it has any tranny codes run away. Will certainly take it by the usual shop and have them look it over, closely at CV joints and such.

Its an 04 with 35,000 Miles and being that it is a GTP I'm going to guess the right foot was used liberally.

The Green's Machines

anyone know of anything I should look out for that the 3800's are known for?

The Green's Machines

Anyway to check the codes on a Pontiac other than a scan tool?

No, that's a Cadillac-only feature (and Corvettes as well actually).

yeah its too bad they took that out in the newer models.

The Green's Machines

3800's are one of the best engines ever made, right along side of the northstars, I'd say. They do, however, have a slight problem with cracking intake plenums(sp?). My girlfriends dad and I just went and test drove a regal with a 3800 and all of a sudden a bunch of white smoke came out the exhaust. We shut it off and it wouldn't start again, hydrolocked I think is the appropriate word. Cheap to fix, but can be bad if not caught. Check the oil cap and dipstick for any milky oil. The 3800 uses a little oil just like the northstars, well at least my 3800 did.

The bigest problems with those trannys are boost valves (that's what went bad on mine), pressure control solenoid, TCC's burning up and the wire harness is too short and rubs on the tranny case and sometimes frays causing strange problems. I'm not saying they ALL had these problems, most people didn't have any problems, but it is more common than not that some problems do occur.

The only bad thing about tranny codes is that they won't be picked up by a generic code reader that the auto stores use. You have to actually take it to a dealer (or tranny shop) to have them get the tranny codes.

One thing you need to look for is a 1-2 very hard shift plus a whine. This will indicate either a bad boost vavle or pressure control solenoid. That's what mine started doing when mine when out. The computer was detecting slip so it increases the pressure to extremes to prevent damage.

I am REALLY sorry for the long post! :lol:

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

anyone know of anything I should look out for that the 3800's are known for?

The 95+ 3800 had issues with the EGR port cooking the plastic resulting in a coolant leak. I don't know when or if the problem has been corrected.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the continued flow of information.

I don't mind long posts, great information in them...I tend to get longwinded too :P

The Green's Machines

came across this on the pontiac site, got a laugh from it, good to see marketing is getting better for GM:

http://www.pontiac.com/convertible/convertible.html

The Green's Machines

came across this on the pontiac site, got a laugh from it, good to see marketing is getting better for GM:

http://www.pontiac.com/convertible/convertible.html

:lol:

I saw that the other day, but they had different people. It's definitely a change of pace for GM's advertising.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived