CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

brakes locked up

chriscisme

my cars been broken for some time and im getting it towed to the caddyship to get it repaired but today i ralized that i pumped the brakes while it was off and the only way i know how unstiffen the pedal is to turn the car on but i cant turn the car on cause of my ignition cylinder/switch...so is there anyway to release thm so i can get a tow (btw, my hill is too marrow for a flatbed so thats out of the question

thanks

my cars been broken for some time and im getting it towed to the caddyship to get it repaired but today i ralized that i pumped the brakes while it was off and the only way i know how unstiffen the pedal is to turn the car on but i cant turn the car on cause of my ignition cylinder/switch...so is there anyway to release thm so i can get a tow (btw, my hill is too marrow for a flatbed so thats out of the question

thanks

If you are talking about hydraulic brake system, you can release the pressure by unscrewing the bleeder screws or the brake hoses on the calipers. But I do not think they will hold th epressure forever. In case you are talking about the parking brake, there is a release lever right next to the one that releases the hood.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

no,like when the car is off if you pump the brake (the regular brake) it starts to get harder and harder and eventually it gets too hard and doesnt push down anymore and how would i go about doing that, would the tow truck person know how to do it?

no,like when the car is off if you pump the brake (the regular brake) it starts to get harder and harder and eventually it gets too hard and doesnt push down anymore and how would i go about doing that, would the tow truck person know how to do it?

When you pump brakes with engine off you just get rid of the vacuum. Hard pedal does not mean your brakes are applied. Just jack up a rear wheel to make sure it rotates freely.

The only way brakes would be stuck is if a caliper piston is seized or perhaps the parking/emergency brake cable is seized with tension on the rear brakes. If your car is on level ground you can put it in neutral and push it a foot or so to make sure it can be towed.

my moms car does the same thing, i pump the brake pedal and everytime i pump it with the car off the pedal stiffens up more and more after every pump and after 6 or 7 pumps or so you cant pump it anymlore, and then the pedal goes back to normal after the car starts, but i cant start my car so i cant loosen up the pedal, also i really hope the back wheels still move

also, i cant put it in neutral because the pedal is stiff and i cant push it down to shift into neutral and do they even shift without keys in the ignition?

The pedal is stiff because you have bleed off the vacuum to the power assist. You should be able to push the pedal enough to shift into neutral.

The pedal is stiff because you have bleed off the vacuum to the power assist. You should be able to push the pedal enough to shift into neutral.

And if you cannot, there is a brake switch somewhere under the pedal. You can apply it directly.

So you did it to your mom's car as well? Hopefully nothing wrong with her ignition. :lol: I did not realize that pumping a brake pedal with an engine off is such a fun. :)

ignition doesnt turn on because of the switch breaking

ok, here the deal, my starter was dying, and from the constant cranking the igniton switch broke,and the car got stuck in accessory mode and the battry died, i pumped on the brakes for no reason, they got stiff,and i need to put it into neutral for the tow truck

Don't worry about these things, they are minor and the tow truck driver should know how to deal with them. One thing you SHOULD watch however is when the tow truck driver puts the chain binders under your car, MAKE SURE he doesn't tie it down using suspension arms or tie rods!

A friend of mine just had her Impala loaded on a flatbed the other day. After the repairs were done (starter changed) the car wouldn't steer! Both rear suspension links were bent and both front stuts needed to be replaced! They were also bent!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived