CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Who Here Uses AC Delco Parts?

Just Curious if people use AC Delco parts...

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Knowing when to go OEM or aftermarket is governed by experiance.

BUT There are NO better parts..

I go out of my way for them when its DIY, ask for them when paying.

Generally

when I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.

when I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM. :unsure:

I am not aware of ANY part that I would chose over OEM for quality/performance alone.

i agree with that whole thing completely, OEM price steers me towards aftermarket, aftermarket quality steers me towards OEM

i guess it depends on whether you really love you car or if you dont wanna break the bank

i try to go with ac delco as much as possible

Depends on the part. I know for a fact that I'd take EBC brake pads over OEM pads. I've recently switched back to OEM and I can't stand them. Things like the plugs, wires, and anything else on the engine I'll go with AC Delco no matter the price.

IPB Image

I try to use ACDelco exclusively. The only way I don't buy ACDelco is if a part is only available as aftermarket or the ACDelco is too expensive. One example would be recent purchase an engine mount which was only available as an aftermarket part. However, I have a new aftermarket alternator because ACDelco is too expensive. The alternator is still running which is good since it's the 3rd or 4th one. Aftermarket alternators are generally garbage. Since I had a lifetime warranty I stuck with the aftermarket until I found a good one. :rolleyes:

He, he. Mac, you make a good argument for sticking with A/C Delco, unless you like changing alternators. I'll bet you are pretty fast at it by now. I nominate you as our resident alternator changing expert.

He, he. Mac, you make a good argument for sticking with A/C Delco, unless you like changing alternators. I'll bet you are pretty fast at it by now. I nominate you as our resident alternator changing expert.

No thanks! :blink:

The guru used to say that AC DELCO OEM parts have been validated to operate correctly. When you buy an aftermarket part, YOU do the validating. That said, I use only AC DELCO

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I stick with OEM parts whenever possible except for such "consumable" items as filters, batteries, and brake pads, or if the parts are very simple and basic (items like torque strut dogbones and the like). I do insist on OEM plugs and wires and will get OEM wiper blades when the time comes (re: thread on windshield wiper chattering). I've come to realize that the OEM parts are superior in quality to aftermarket parts. If you have replace an aftermarket part again right away, the cost savings gets wiped out real fast.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

bodybyfisher, was it you that once said that K&N air filters were actually proven to let dirt past them?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Someone had to bring it up -K&N-, I think this is the only product I have ever seen addressed in A GM and FORD TSB .....want to give the dealer a reason to dismiss warranty claim this is it.

But trying to tell a K&N lover the facts is like talking to a Red sox fan, they don't care its a loser, they believe.

I might have a copy ov the filter comparassion thaat mentioned the lack of particle arresting by K&N vs Delco....if so will post.

So they're really that bad, huh? I'm sure glad I took mine out of my suburban. It had one in it when I bought it. I was really sick of oiling it and I knew that some oil had to be getting past and depositing on the MAF, so I got an AC Delco high flow. Didn't notice any difference actually. I think K&N is just a big farce...kind of like the Tornado.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

AC Delco for everything, except for one part(s). The stabilizer end links. I used Moog because they have a grease zerk in each joint, also the shaft is larger in diameter.

AC Delco for everything, except for one part(s). The stabilizer end links. I used Moog because they have a grease zerk in each joint, also the shaft is larger in diameter.

Where did you get ahold of them?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Where did you get ahold of them?

Part # K5319 for my 95.

Any auto parts store can order them for you, AZ, Advance, NAPA, ect. I odered mine at a local auto parts. Had them the next day.

Your 02 doesn't have this type of link, in 98 they changed to the old style long bolt/bushings.

Cool, thanks for the info! So I'm guessing the classic bolt style doesn't cause as much problems, correct?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I usually go with Delco. One thing's for sure, I'll never get another off-brand alternator.

My last experience was after the alt on the Blazer went out on a Saturday night. Of course everyplace good is closed on Sunday, so I went with the top $$ alt from the large chain. Figured it would probably be OK. Wrong - POS. My lights flickered the whole rest of the time I had that car.

Cool, thanks for the info! So I'm guessing the classic bolt style doesn't cause as much problems, correct?

The only difference is stiffer connection between the stabilizer bar & suspension. The older syle is basically a solid connection, the 98 & up is rubber.

I like validating my aftermarket mufflers ;)

I think its a part by part thing really, I've had good luck with NAPA, right now though I'm getting a squeak and that overheated brake smell sometimes from my front right, so I'll have to look at that, I've had quite a battle with this "run" of brakes.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived