CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

active suspension question

hi guys.. have a question on a 1992 seville i just aquired.. looking through some of the old reciepts.. i noticed the front struts were changed.. here is how it was listed on the invoice

"cust. sates service ride control light is on, advise ran data scan code 23, replaced both frt struts, per bul, disconnected frt strut wiring and removed, reset ipc overide, per bul"

the struts were replaced with #22189452 .. what type of strut is this? it is a gm part number..

so does this mean my rear shocks are no longer active? i do hear the compressor come on for the rear leveling system.. is this part of the rear shocks and active suspension or something independant?

what would be needed to take the suspension back to stock? just the struts themselves? kinda sounds like in the memo they disconnected and removed the wiring:O(

update.. i think on the 1992 it is called "computer command ride"

hi guys.. have a question on a 1992 seville i just aquired.. looking through some of the old reciepts.. i noticed the front struts were changed.. here is how it was listed on the invoice

"cust. sates service ride control light is on, advise ran data scan code 23, replaced both frt struts, per bul, disconnected frt strut wiring and removed, reset ipc overide, per bul"

the struts were replaced with #22189452 .. what type of strut is this? it is a gm part number..

so does this mean my rear shocks are no longer active? i do hear the compressor come on for the rear leveling system.. is this part of the rear shocks and active suspension or something independant?

what would be needed to take the suspension back to stock? just the struts themselves? kinda sounds like in the memo they disconnected and removed the wiring:O(

Yes, it is a GM part number. As near as I can tell, that is the part number for the PASSIVE strut not the active strut.

Posted Image

Regarding the rear shocks. They were never "active", like the front struts. If the compresso rruns and rear seems to adjust to a heavy or light load, then they are probably OK.

"Active" means the the suspension computer is controling an internal dampner valve by the wiring. Many owners have installed "passive" front struts because they are much cheaper. However, one problem can be a re-occurring suspension code because of how the strut wiring may have been removed or shunted with a resistor.

You may not have to do anything. But it you really want the original active struts, then be prepared to pay a bit, and you may want to check if the wiring still exisits.

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I had to put passive struts in my '92 seville and I love the ride the new ones give. You can turn off the sensors in the DIC. I did that and I have never had a problem in 4 years. I can't exactly remember how to turn it off, but I am sure someone will chime in and have the answer. I do remember it only took me a minute to do that.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

Archived