CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

POWER STEERING FLUID

Larry

Dexron III is trans fluid. Years ago P/S fluid and trans fluid where one in the same. Not sure if that is still the case or not. I see no reason why not.

Yes , I remember thats the way it was. I notice a clicking sound kinda coming from power stereing or left front of valve cover. You can re-start car and it goes away. The power steering fluid is down about half way warm. Could that be air in the system. I wanted to fill or top off to line , but beacause of magna steer, or whatever it has, didin't just want to pour in. Thanks

I just changed mine a few months ago. I purchased a quart of STP power steering fluid in Wally world for $3 or so. It said on the bottle that is is for GM cars. I rememer it was a red container that was shaped like an oil bottle. - also the fluid was clear.

Modern GM power steering systems are factory filled with a mineral oil based fluid. The fluid is dosed with non-corrosive and non-foaming agents.

After servicing the system, you should bleed the air out in order to get the fluid at the proper level in the reservoir.

The GM part (89020661) is pricey.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The GM part (89020661) is pricey.

That's why I recommended the Valvoline fluid, it's the only one I've seen that meets the GM specification other then GM or AC Delco.

I myself use AC Delco fluid.

IPB Image

Archived