CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Unsynchronized Wiper Blades

WarrenJ

I drove to work Friday during the storm that visited us here in the NYMA. My normal 30 minute commute became a two hour one. Ice built up on my wiper blades and Long Island Distressway traffic rarely exceeded 5 mph; the NYMA folk will understand.

About an hour from work my wiper blades became "unsynchronized," such that they began colliding with one another. Shortly, the driver's side blade went "off the screen" and came to rest on the driver's side outside rear view mirror. It pulsated there for the remainder of the drive etching off a half or more square inch of the mirror's paint. The passenger side blade began to oscillate in a 10-20 degree arc in the center of the windshield.

I suppose I should have been greatful for that however. It allowed me to see my way to work after all!

Of course, that was the worst possible moment for that to happen. BUT, it had happened before on my '95 under similar circumstances. I hope GM has addressed this in later models.

In the meantime, checking/tightening the bolts at the base of the windshield wiper blades will be added to my normal maintenance routine.

Others might want to consider it as well.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: "NYMA" = New York Metropolitan Area.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That really sucks Warren. I have never had that happen. If I were you. I would not only tighten them, I'd Loctite them first.

Someone suggested to me that when they are properly torqued this saves the motor at the expense of the mechanical linkage in the event of ice clog etc. Dunno.

They are certainly not properly torqued now; They're smurf tight! :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived