CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

sunroofs on the 98-04 sevilles

How come cadillac made the sunroofs on the 98-04 sevilles so crappy? My 95 SLS had a HUGE awesome sunroof and my 02 sucks something rotten. It's so tiny and when you use the vent, you can barely even tell it's open. Was it a safety issue or did they make the roof smaller so they in turn made the sunroof smaller?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

If you think the 02 roof is bad... The 05 roof is even smaller.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I think there was a point where all of the sunroofs were made as "aftermarket" items, probably to fit several different models of car. I remember when I bought my used 99, I told the dealer that I really wanted a sunroof. He replied "no problem" we put all of the sunroofs in, in our body shop. "We'll put one in for you if you want!" But, I said, I wanted original equipment. To which he replied "they are all original equipment, we install all of them right here".

I declined, and have been very happy with that decision ever since. He also told me that I would lose a little headroom, but all of the overhead controls would end up in the same place.

I'm thinking about one of those new Jeep 4 door unlimiteds for my second car. I figure a Sahra with no window frames and a soft top only will give me that "open air" feeling that I want, and will be able to pull my small boat easily. PLUS it will allow me to appreciate my STS's ride even more on long trips!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

How come cadillac made the sunroofs on the 98-04 sevilles so crappy? My 95 SLS had a HUGE awesome sunroof and my 02 sucks something rotten. It's so tiny and when you use the vent, you can barely even tell it's open. Was it a safety issue or did they make the roof smaller so they in turn made the sunroof smaller?

My 98 has an aftermarket sunroof that even closes automatically when you turn off the ignition if you want it to. It offer that choice.

Don't think I would ever own another car with out one.

Tommy

I think there was a point where all of the sunroofs were made as "aftermarket" items, probably to fit several different models of car. I remember when I bought my used 99, I told the dealer that I really wanted a sunroof. He replied "no problem" we put all of the sunroofs in, in our body shop. "We'll put one in for you if you want!" But, I said, I wanted original equipment. To which he replied "they are all original equipment, we install all of them right here".

I declined, and have been very happy with that decision ever since. He also told me that I would lose a little headroom, but all of the overhead controls would end up in the same place.

I'm thinking about one of those new Jeep 4 door unlimiteds for my second car. I figure a Sahra with no window frames and a soft top only will give me that "open air" feeling that I want, and will be able to pull my small boat easily. PLUS it will allow me to appreciate my STS's ride even more on long trips!

I thought that the difference between aftermarket and stock was that the aftermarket ones didn't have the steel rolled around the sunroof to make it stronger. Stock roofs with sunroofs are built for them unlike aftermarket sunroofs where they just get a saber (sp?) saw and cut a hole in it. How would they do the switches then if they installed it there? They would have to buy a whole new overhead console for the switches. Maybe they just ment they install aftermarket ones there?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

How would they do the switches then if they installed it there? They would have to buy a whole new overhead console for the switches. Maybe they just ment they install aftermarket ones there?

I don't know about the hole in the roof, but I do know that certain body shops can work wonders with metal. I also wondered about the drain tubes and how they could be ran through the roof and down the rear (or front) fenders. Both of these things entered my mind at the time, but I didn't get into details with the dealer.

I did ask about the controls, the dealer swore to me that they would be exactly like any other Caddy on the lot.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

My '01 has an aftermarket sunroof. The switch panel is a very small "fob" looking panel mounted to the overhead console area. It houses 5 buttons: FORWARD, REVERSE, CLOSE, 1, 2. The 1/2 buttons are for user-settable position presets. Mine also closes automatically when the key comes out, and the control panel is lit. A very nice install. Save for the aftermarket control fob, you wouldn't know it's an aftermarket roof. It's pretty large too. Made by Webasto Hollandia.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived