CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Goodyear vs Michelin Performance Tires

weephee

It's time for a new set of tires. My STS originally came with Michelin P235 55 R17 tires but the Goodyear Eagle LS tires were also available. Anyone out there have experience or opinions on which of these manufacturers provides the best performing tire. I do a lot of driving and frequently push the car to it's limits. Any advice is appreciated.

This is a hard question, are you concerned with handling, wet weather ride, quiet ride or tire life? Its a fine balance if you ask me. For me, wet weather and dry weather handling are most important, I DON'T care about NOISE or WEAR, as my LIFE is more important to me than tire wear and noise...

That said, the best tire I have put on my cars, has been a Michelin Pilot XGT-H4.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Pirelli Pzero Nero 235/55 ZR17 M/S. Best tire I have had on the girl. Have had the Goodyear and Michellen. The Pirelli so far has had the smoothest and quitest ride of all 3. Great Dry and Rain tire. Not bad in the snow as well. Cheapest of all 3 as well. Will buy again.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I agree that safety is paramount and that's a given. I guess I'm looking for a tire that handles well in dry ideal conditions. I can adjust my driving to adverse weather conditions. The car has magnetic struts which give a firm ride so I don't want tires that feel sloppy when negotiating sharp curves when driving aggressively (but safely of course). The existing michelins are not back but wondering if the Goodyear Eagle LS tires might be better.

What are the Michelin tires that are on it now? Michelin makes numerous tires in that size.

I have Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires on the '01 and they're excellent tires. Excellent grip, dead quiet, and good ride. They are expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for, in most cases. These are not the most sporty tire Michelin makes...they're more of a "grand touring" all season tire.

There are two performance Michelin tires available in your size...the Pilot Sport A/S and the Pilot HX MXM4. The Pilot Sport A/S tires will be closer to a dedicated performance tire, while the Pilot HX MXM4 are closer to the Energy MXV4 Plus tires, just more tuned to the sporty side.

Goodyear has a new Eagle out called the Eagle ResponsEdge. It looks to be a fantastic tire. I've not been impressed with the Eagle LS. It's a fair tire that comes from the factory on a lot of cars. There are better tires out there, including those from Goodyear.

In general, I haven't had much luck with Goodyear tires, and have really liked every Michelin tire I've had, so I keep going back for more. I haven't bought a non-Michelin tire for years, and continue to be very happy with their tires. But that new Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge tire looks very good, and has good reviews so far. If I had to pick a Goodyear tire, it would be it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If a Michelin tire has "Pilot" in it's name, it's a performance tire. If not, then the tire has other priorities such as ride as higher priorities in its name. I suggest that you use the tire selection guide on The Tire Rack's web site.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Pirelli Pzero Nero 235/55 ZR17 M/S. Best tire I have had on the girl. Have had the Goodyear and Michellen. The Pirelli so far has had the smoothest and quitest ride of all 3. Great Dry and Rain tire. Not bad in the snow as well. Cheapest of all 3 as well. Will buy again.

I'll second that! If they're still around when these are gone thas exactly what I'll replace them with. Rain, snow or ice, they work well.

JasonA Posted Today, 11:22 AM

In general, I haven't had much luck with Goodyear tires

Not sure about the Goodyear Response Edge, but I put a set of Goodyear Triple Treads on our mini-van last fall and I really like them. A tad pricey and noisey, but I feel a lot like Mike in this regard. I would have bought these for the Caddy when I got the Pirelli's but they weren't made in 235/55-17 then, but they are now.

Jim

If a Michelin tire has "Pilot" in it's name, it's a performance tire. If not, then the tire has other priorities such as ride as higher priorities in its name. I suggest that you use the tire selection guide on The Tire Rack's web site.

While this is true, Michelin has a very comprehensive line of Pilot tires, and the performance of the various tires will vary as much as they do between different market segments. Everything from the Pilot Sport PS2 (which is a summer-only exotic car tire, equipped on such cars as the Porsche GT3 I believe) to the Pilot Exalto A/S, which is a lower-level all season tire for the likes of smaller compact coupes and sedans. The Pilot XGT series is a big aged at this point, but were very good performers...I had two sets of Pilot XGT H4 tires on my '97 and liked them a whole lot. But there are newer tires in the Pilot line by now. The point is, the line has a huge listing of all types of performance tires. Simply saying "Michelin", or "Michelin Pilot", really doesn't say much about the tires. It's like saying if a car is called "Cadillac", it's a luxury car. Yes, but with big-time differences in performance, attitude, flavor, and design.

I will second or third the notion to check out Tirerack.com. I go there for fun sometimes, just to see the latest and greatest, and see how people think of different tires. It's a good resource.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Here's a thread from a while back that might help.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...&hl=pirelli

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

First off, I want to thank you for the link to Tirerack. What a fantastic information center. Absolutely everything you would want to know about tires is there. I've narrowed my choice down to Pirelli Pzero M&S or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Not sure which to go with. I guess the Z rated tires are a lot softer than the H rated and would wear out quicker. Is that correct. Man, what a hard decision.

First off, I want to thank you for the link to Tirerack. What a fantastic information center. Absolutely everything you would want to know about tires is there. I've narrowed my choice down to Pirelli Pzero M&S or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Not sure which to go with. I guess the Z rated tires are a lot softer than the H rated and would wear out quicker. Is that correct. Man, what a hard decision.

On the tirerack.com website you can further break each tire down to the specific vehicle perhaps providing more info for you. Like others it was a toss up for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or the Pirelli PZero Nero, one was rated as a "W" the other as a "Z". I see that they both are still running neck-in-neck with their reviews.

I can attest the Pirelli is really good in the wet. In rutty ole I-5 I've stood on it at 68 MPH, with a down shift to second in heavy down pours in the ruts without any issues. No traction engaged warnings, no slippage ... just smooth wet driving. In glare ice, compact snow and ice and black ice, no problems. In light snow it does really good although I haven't driven in deep snow with my STS. I have 4x4 for that.

Either way, which ever tire you choose (Pirelli or Michelin) based on the comments from Tire Rack I think you'll be happy.

Jim

Archived