CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'92 Seville Code EO48

He can't get the EGR Valve off. He said there are metal fuel lines in the way of a bolt he needs to loosen and he can't get around the lines. Any suggestions on how to get around the fuel lines? We'd much rather clean the stupid thing than replace it!

Thanks!

April

Let me pull my 91 Seville manual out tonight and see if I can find the procedure to remove the EGR on the 4.9...

Its possible you need to lift the fuel rail.. Mike

Mike, there is no need to lift the rail. Despite it is possible to remove the EGR valve with a modified socket wrench, I would just remove the throttle body. That's what I did. The EGR gasket must be replaced as well.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

If I recall correctly, a crows foot wrench may do the trick.

Yes you are correct Ranger, I bought one for the task!

He can't get the EGR Valve off. He said there are metal fuel lines in the way of a bolt he needs to loosen and he can't get around the lines. Any suggestions on how to get around the fuel lines? We'd much rather clean the stupid thing than replace it!

Thanks!

April

Let me pull my 91 Seville manual out tonight and see if I can find the procedure to remove the EGR on the 4.9...

Its possible you need to lift the fuel rail.. Mike

Mike, there is no need to lift the rail. Despite it is possible to remove the EGR valve with a modified socket wrench, I would just remove the throttle body. That's what I did. The EGR gasket must be replaced as well.

Old age... gotta love it, how many times did I have the EGR off my 91? I guess once I lifted the hood I would remember, I hope anyway! I guess I am focused on my NS now :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just had the EGR off of my '92 4.9 and the one bolt takes a little time and knuckle busting, but it comes off with no need to move the fuel rail. Good Luck

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

"Old age... gotta love it, how many times did I have the EGR off my 91? I guess once I lifted the hood I would remember, I hope anyway! I guess I am focused on my NS now :lol:"

Ah, but Cadillacs are like wine, the older the better :wub: ! Cadillacs are starting to look like any other car out there. I miss the one glance and you know it's a Caddy styles.

Let me share a pride in my Caddy story. I was driving through Walmart parking lot in my 1985 Fleetwood Brougham, people were turning to look at the car and I naturally assumed it was because it was a really nice car. Well, as I started walking into the store this guy stops me and says "Is that your Cadillac?" Grinning ear to ear I say, "Well, yes it is. :D " Waiting for his compliment on what a nice car he thought it was, I was promptly humbled when he said, "Your brakes were chirping, you need to change them." :o

Anyway, I'll let my husband know removing the EGR valve is really possible and maybe he'll get a new tool out of the whole ordeal to make it worth hurting his knuckles.

Thanks!

April

Archived