CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well, Ya gonna make an offer or what?

TDK

Like it says,

The owner is finally ready to sell a white '99 Deville with 32,00miles, 1.5 owners (got from their folks) and no apparent issues.

He is asking $11,000 but KBB now notes about $9,500 for excellant.

We will give out '94 Red Concours to our son. He's the one with a tricked out, 400+ hp EVO, who drives the Caddy like a chauffer and gives me crap for getting after it (so his car will be ok).

So., what do you all think about this deal?

The wife wants me to close the deal tonight (after I check codes at least I suppose).

Thanks,

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I would offer him $9.5K firm and wait, while looking elsewhere. The premium of $1.5K doesn't seem deserved or appropriate and that is a lot of money. I think 15% is too much of a premium unless you can get a warranty and the service history.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Be careful with lower mileage cars. I'd rather take a car with 80,000 highway miles than a car with 20,000 in town. In town driving is so hard on a car. Stop and go, start and stop. I'm not saying this one is, but it might be worth it to ask them what kind of miles those are.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Thanks all for the great info.

Regarding the type of mileage, yes it is probably 80% in town. I know the owners and she drives it daily about 5-miles between their house and restaurant. However, "stop and go" as most folks understand it - does not really exist in this rural town. A traffic jam is more than 3-cars in a row even if moving above posted speeds.

I'm thinking about test driving it tommorrow morning, check the fluids and pull any codes. If all OK, then offer $9,500 in cold, fresh cash.

Thanks again

. . . . "stop and go" as most folks understand it - does not really exist in this rural town. A traffic jam is more than 3-cars in a row even if moving above posted speeds.

That is thoroughly disgusting. Do you realize urban drivers are viewing this? Talk about politically incorrect!

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

. . . . "stop and go" as most folks understand it - does not really exist in this rural town. A traffic jam is more than 3-cars in a row even if moving above posted speeds.

That is thoroughly disgusting. Do you realize urban drivers are viewing this? Talk about politically incorrect!

Regards,

Warren :P

Agreed totally. I live in the Dallas / Ft. Worth metromess and you can sometimes be on the "HIGH SPEED" freeway for an hour and only go 2 or 3 miles.

Penalize him for being so insenstive to us other kind of drivers with other kinds of traffic. Send him to sensitivity training ..... or something. :):):) Maybe make him buy us all a cool one while we educate him. :):)

Posted Image

Dear All,

I suppose that admission (of no real "traffic")was cruel and insensitive writing. Just to repent an see the situation from your perspectives, I'll drive backwards into work today :D Seriously, My 13-mile commute (including through "town") is about 9-10 minutes. The 156-mile trip to Reno is 2-hours(+/- 10-minutes).

Yea, Paul if the wife wants it, then that might be it. :rolleyes: Lose a battle, but be winning the war - I suppose. :P

Relating back to the city mile topic, is there a totalized engine time in the DIC anywhere? I could also use something like totalized revs in some kind of engineering notehand. Perhaps the OLM relies on such an obscure register that might not reset? With that info, then I could easily determin average engine time per mile and relate it back to city/highway. Am I making my self clear here? :unsure:

Thanks again

;)

I'd probably say the worst traffic for a car would be here in Minot. Not only is there a traffic light every 5 feet, but where ever you want to go is less than a mile away. So you start your car, stop-go, stop-go, and then you're there. You never get a chance to get over 40 for longer than 3 seconds. Everyone is always slamming on the gas and then immediately on the brake. Gas mileage isn't the greatest here. At least in bigger cities when you're driving where you want to go your car is at least running for a while. :wacko:

TDK, that car sounds like it'll be a runner! I'd say offering $9,500 is about right. Mention that it books for that much. They pobably won't take that low, but might settle around $10,000. You never know, keep us up on any news on it!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Dear All,

I suppose that admission (of no real "traffic")was cruel and insensitive writing. Just to repent an see the situation from your perspectives, I'll drive backwards into work today :D Seriously, My 13-mile commute (including through "town") is about 9-10 minutes. The 156-mile trip to Reno is 2-hours(+/- 10-minutes).

Yea, Paul if the wife wants it, then that might be it. :rolleyes: Lose a battle, but be winning the war - I suppose. :P

Relating back to the city mile topic, is there a totalized engine time in the DIC anywhere? I could also use something like totalized revs in some kind of engineering notehand. Perhaps the OLM relies on such an obscure register that might not reset? With that info, then I could easily determin average engine time per mile and relate it back to city/highway. Am I making my self clear here? :unsure:

Thanks again

;)

Very clear. I understand exactly what you want to do with the info. If it is available. That would be great info to have. The total engine running time and totalized revs. I don't know what :) "I" :) would ever do with the info, but would be good to have, none the less.

Posted Image

OK then,

I have driven the car and it at my house while I check the following codes (all history):

P0461 Fuel Level Sensor Performance, P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage (related, but seem OK now)

P0603 PCM Memory Reset, happens every time the battery is disconnected (no biggie)

B1147 Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction (this seems that anything bad would be obvious, it is now OK)

U1255 Class 2 Communication malfunction, serial Data line malfunction. (this seems to be a transient or related to battery disconnect)

All the other modules report no codes.

No codes reappeared afer clearing and drivng about 5-miles and two restarts. The car has (4) 3-month old Michelm xw4 225/60-16, spin balance, 4-wheel alignment, fresh oil/filters and brake check. A new Interstate battery on July of 03.

The air and all controls run fine. Both front seat heaters work OK and move fine. Her side has adjustable temp knob on the door.

It runs fine and rides much quieter than the BRD (not bad considering a 160,000-mile differance)

The paint and interior are flawless (a few rock chips or hard-bugs on the lower front bumper) and there does not appear to have been reconstruction. The engine compartment is dusty (which I belive is OK, considering no work recently required).

And, it has a gold VII "Cadidillac Heritage badge on the grill"

So what's wrong (besides lookin into the history codes)?

The right turn signal has a higher frequency than the left, but all the bulbs are OK on each side. I don't think its a deal breaker just yet... ;)

I checked the codes in afew minutes and was able to add them to the post. I don't think there are any problems at this point in time. Thanks Caddy - for the OBDII, and this site for the search info!

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

OK then,

I have driven the car and it at my house while I check the following codes (all history):

P0461 Fuel Level Sensor Performance, P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage (related, but seem OK now)

P0603 PCM Memory Reset, happens every time the battery is disconnected (no biggie)

B1147 Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction (this seems that anything bad would be obvious, it is now OK)

U1255 Class 2 Communication malfunction, serial Data line malfunction. (this seems to be a transient or related to battery disconnect)

All the other modules report no codes.

No codes reappeared afer clearing and drivng about 5-miles and two restarts. The car has (4) 3-month old Michelm xw4 225/60-16, spin balance, 4-wheel alignment, fresh oil/filters and brake check. A new Interstate battery on July of 03.

The air and all controls run fine. Both front seat heaters work OK and move fine. Her side has adjustable temp knob on the door.

It runs fine and rides much quieter than the BRD (not bad considering a 160,000-mile differance)

The paint and interior are flawless (a few rock chips or hard-bugs on the lower front bumper) and there does not appear to have been reconstruction. The engine compartment is dusty (which I belive is OK, considering no work recently required).

And, it has a gold VII "Cadidillac Heritage badge on the grill"

So what's wrong (besides lookin into the history codes)?

The right turn signal has a higher frequency than the left, but all the bulbs are OK on each side. I don't think its a deal breaker just yet... ;)

I checked the codes in afew minutes and was able to add them to the post. I don't think there are any problems at this point in time. Thanks Caddy - for the OBDII, and this site for the search info!

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

It sounds like a very nice car if you can get it for the right price.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree, sounds awesome. Sounds like it would be a good, strong car.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Got it! :D

We chatted with the owner a while and the wife sorta concluded the price talk at $10,750, so no sense talking any more. Like Paul T said, "If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy". ;) Not bad though. :) Its all registered and insured to us already. It was even cheaper to insure than her 2000 Neon because of the safer car class and only $145 to register (no sales tax here).

We found out driving him to get his other car, that they just replaced the A/C cond etc ($1,500 with the service report etc and a CD?) at Lund Cadillac in Phoenix, where the car was originally purchased by his mother in law. It still has the dealer's gold badge on one of the key fobs. BTW, the MIL wants to sell her 2006 Caddy (with about 5,000 miles), when the 2008's are out (must be nice to trade every two years to keep that new car smell). Maybe just maybe, if one of the other kids needs another car...

The tires were just a few months old and had been rotated a few weeks ago (where do they find the time to do all this stuff)?

We have an appointment to lube the front brake cylinders. The rotors and pads were checked OK, but the noise was suspected to be dirt/lack of lube.

I already sufferd the first major repair costs by installing a new t3057 bulb to fix the fast flashing left-hand turn signal (her eyes arn't that sharp I guess... but the hearing will kill ya). The second major repair was dabbing a few rock chips in the front bumper underside.

Ok then, enough talk about those major repairs. If its as good as the BRD, it should be good to go for the next 160,000 miles.

Speaking of the BRD, I'll get a side-by-side picture after a good-by bath for the Big Red Dog, alongside the Big White Dog.

One way to figure it, with him just spending $1,500 on the AC and $700 on new tires etc, the car's relative cost to me is about $8,550. Another way, considering its mileage and most folks averaging 15,000 miles per year, I just bought a 2004/5 Caddy in a 1999 skin, for $10,750. :blink:

Thanks all for your comments :D

I am amazed to hear that the tires are XW4's and are only 4 months old. When I replaced the tires (XW4's) on my '97 a few years ago, they were unavailable and had to go with Symmetry's. I was quite happy with the XW4's ride, not to mention that I got 86K out of them. I think they had enough tread to go 100K, but a bulge in the sidewall sealed their fate. I think you'll be quite happy with her. Congrats.

I have been there and done that with my wife. <_< I had turned down an offer and was walking out the door when the wife says "wait a minute". :angry::o Well I looked at the salesman and he had a big smile on his face. :D I had lost. :o Your price is not too far out though. ;)

One way to figure it, with him just spending $1,500 on the AC and $700 on new tires etc, the car's relative cost to me is about $8,550. Another way, considering its mileage and most folks averaging 15,000 miles per year, I just bought a 2004/5 Caddy in a 1999 skin, for $10,750. :blink:

Your logic is flawless!

Sounds great. Many happy miles. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

160,000 miles?! You will be going more like 260,000 more miles! :P

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived