CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 XLR glitch problems with roof, and trunk.

jm2004xlr

Hello to everyone.

This is my first post.

We own a 2004 XLR with 18K on it. We love the car but in the past 3 weeks or so it has been a pain.

The trunk will stop working and simply will not open, unless you open it manually. Same problem with the roof. Leave the car overnight and it just starts working like nothing is wrong.

Wondering if anyone has had the same issues? And if there is a quick fix?

For the roof it does give this error “top motor over temp”. It gives us this error the first time we tried to bring the top down this morning, so I don’t know how it could be over heated.

Thank you for your help.

Hope you are enjoying your wheels in spite of the problems. Any way to retrieve the DTCs (trouble codes) from your model?

You can read forums like this for most makes of cars and eventually see some common situations; the really strange problems occur on the cars with the higher numbers of electronic control modules.

A high percentage of the time, loose, dirty, corroded connectors are responsible for erratic behavior. Start with your battery terminals and be sure all the connections you can get to are clean and tight. Surgically clean is usually good enough.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

First, if it is still under warranty take it straight to the Cadillac dealer and let them fix it. The top mechanism is subtle, and best to let them fix.

The XLR owner's manual says:

TOP MOTOR OVER TEMP: This message will display

when the retractable hardtop button is pressed and

the hardtop pump motor temperature is over 185°F

85°C). Wait for the hardtop pump motor to cool down

before using the retractable hardtop.

If you were not having a problem otherwise I might guess that you are getting a false reading from the temp sensor, and it might need to be replaced, or have connections cleaned, etc.

Interestingly, the top self-calibrates each time it is raised or lowered, similar to the way the auto-windows self-adjust now. So it is important to always completely finish the top open/close operation, as it will remember where it 'stops' as open or closed.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks guys.

We love the car. I did drop it off at the dealer this morning, and I was lucky that it still was not working right. Last night it started working like there was no problem so I was a bit worried.

Once we get the car back I will make sure to update what they said was the reason for anyone else who might encounter this problem.

As for the car being clean at the connectors, I can't say for sure, but I know we keep the car very clean all over. I will be paying a bit more attention to the areas where there are obvious sensors from now.

Again thank you for your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I promised an update.

According to the Cadillac dealer it was the hydraulic pump that was failing and giving errors.

The car has one hydraulic pump and a bunch of actuators for the trunk and the convertible hard top. It took them about 2 days to fix the car and now it is working fine.

Save all your paperwork on these issues.... if the trouble re-surfaces shortly after the warranty expires, you could argue that it was never corrected properly in the first place..... could save you a ton of cash....

In fact, if you're suspicious of ANYTHING, get it in there and get documentation that something is not right.....

Glad the Dealer got it fixed. I agree keep all the receipts on any Cadillac, so you have good documentation. I hope you have miles of worry free top-down motoring now.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I may be wrong but any repair done on a caddy at a dealership will get a lifetime warranty on the work done (1 year labor, lifetime parts), that however, may just be for out of warranty work. Sounds like this is labor intensive over part cost intensive :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived