CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question for 2000 Seville/Eldo Owners

I am looking to get a Seville with Navigation System. I just went to the dealer and sat in a few STSs and the salesman said that it would be hard to find a 2000 with NAV....

1) Are they common?

2) Are they effective (do they work good)?

3) What is required for them to work (CD ROM)? Are they still available from the dealer?

4) Can I override the lockout so that a movie can be played while the car is in motion (for my daughter to watch)..?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I am looking to get a Seville with Navigation System. I just went to the dealer and sat in a few STSs and the salesman said that it would be hard to find a 2000 with NAV....

1) Are they common?

3) What is required for them to work (CD ROM)? Are they still available from the dealer?

4) Can I override the lockout so that a movie can be played while the car is in motion (for my daughter to watch)..?

Mine is a 2001 and it is CD-ROM based so my guess is a 2000 is as well. When I was looking mine is the only one I saw with it (Navigation System). Haven't checked whether or not they are still available but there is a total of 6 CD's for the entire US. I bought one from the dealer in 2003 for my region and it cost me a Ben Franklin :blink:

At the time I checked on line and they were produced by the same outfit that makes them for the commercial Navigation units. I have this info buried somewhere in my APT in Portland OR. I'll try and remember to check when I do down there this week. If you like, feel free to send me a email as a reminder.

I'll say itnis handy when you're driving and you need a quick glance at a map. Just remember to keep your eyes on the road more than on the map ;)

Hope this helps!

Jim White

1) Are they common?

1) No very rare... They seem to be fairly rare until 2003

2) Yes

3) Not sure.. If they are they will be $$$$$$ (at least $600)

4) I know this is easy (and free) on 02-05 and can be done now for about $400 for 05 and newer... The 01 and newer DONT play movies since they are CD ROM based NOT DVD... If you want a DVD player you need an 02 or newer...

PS the 98-01 systems have really small 4" or something screens...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

You can't get the cd's anymore from the dealership. I called the other day asking for them and they said my 02 was "too old." You may be able to find the last update for that year on ebay if you have part number. They are always on there. I've actually never seen an 2000-2001 with nav. They work very well...unless your battery goes dead :wacko: oynxsts is right about not being able to play dvd's. If you want to play dvds, you'll have to buy the 02 or newer. It's nice being able to override that to watch movies.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I would HIGHLY recommend skipping the in-car nav and getting an external navigation device. The in-car navigation systems are usually not as up-to-date (software wise) and harder to update (data/map wise).

You'll get much more value from getting an external GPS device like a Garmin-type unit. There's even more value-added because you can use it in more than one vehicle. They're incredibly easy to update (with a CF card or similar) and often much more user-friendly.

Personally, having seen a Cadillac nav unit (in a 2002 STS), I wouldn't hold out for it. You can do much better in the aftermarket.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It took my dealer two weeks to locate my DTS without nav. She was ready to discount the price out of her end of the deal if I would take a car with OEM nav. installed.

Aftermarket is the only way to go if you need such a device.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

First off I will state that I have no experience with the aftermarket units like Garmin but as JimD and Jason A said, with aftermarket you COULD use it in another car also. Some of the aftermarket units get very good reviews from testers.

That said, I "DO" have the in car nav in my '06 DTS. Really like it. If I was buying another car, NAV would be on my list of very desireable features. I think the newer ones have much bigger screens than the older ones. That could <and probably does> make a big difference in the useability aspect of it. Just my 2 cents.

Posted Image

I agree with texas jim. Personally I do not like any aftermarket stuff in my car. It doesn't look as "clean." The things I really enjoy about the stock nav is the touch screen, voice recognition, and watching movies. My next vehicle will have nav too, if possible.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived