CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

H Rated Tires and Speed Limiter Questions

Texas Jim

. . . . where the Road Runner cartoons were filmed .... honest!

That world where ANYTHING is possible . . . . ?

Regards,

Warren (ACME Gadget Inc.)

Pres. & CEO.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It is interesting that the DIC gives you that very specific mph number (123) instead of 130. I also figured it was just part of production variations, but that's obviously a difference in the software, for it to be looking for 123 mph vs. 130 mph.

It does seem that it's some sort of PCM software "adjustment" that occured between the production of your two models.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

but when I had my '95 Eldorado I noted many OBDI owners spoke of a 112mph limiter while others spoke of a 115mph limiter

hmmm, I have seen 125 in my '95 etc. No DIC message, no limiter intervention.

Base Eldo's are limited to 112 mph. 93-95 ETC's have no limiter as they are Z rated.

My base 95 Eldo has no limiter since I installed a chip. (Fastchip)

IPB Image

Regarding Texas Jim, H rated tires are 130 mph. Since the same year & model car hit the limiter at 130 mph, this one should be the same. I think a PCM reflash is in order. As a side note, my Eldo came with S rated (112) tires. Before I replaced the chip it hit the limiter at exactly 112 mph.

but when I had my '95 Eldorado I noted many OBDI owners spoke of a 112mph limiter while others spoke of a 115mph limiter

hmmm, I have seen 125 in my '95 etc. No DIC message, no limiter intervention.

Base Eldo's are limited to 112 mph. 93-95 ETC's have no limiter as they are Z rated.

My base 95 Eldo has no limiter since I installed a chip. (Fastchip)

IPB Image

Regarding Texas Jim, H rated tires are 130 mph. Since the same year & model car hit the limiter at 130 mph, this one should be the same. I think a PCM reflash is in order. As a side note, my Eldo came with S rated (112) tires. Before I replaced the chip it hit the limiter at exactly 112 mph.

The other car would hit it at EXACTLY 130 and give the SPEED LIMITED message on the dic. My Taurus hits it at exactly 112. A couple of Cadillacs I rented last year hit it at exactly 112. This one hits at 123. Very odd. I will talk to the dealer about a reflash.

Posted Image

Went by the Cadillac dealership today and talked to the Service Manager about reflashing the PCM. He said he could do that but he didn't think it would make any difference. He is wondering if the car is actually going faster than the speedometer says. The speed limiter works directly off of the transmission not the speedometer.

He is going to hook up some type of computer that interfaces with the car computer and leave it on for the weekend. There will be a button I push when the speed limiter kicks in and the computer records all the vital statistics from all the car computers. Then he can analyze everything it records and we will proceed from there. :):)

Posted Image

After you said that the message on the DIC actually says that the speed is limited to 123mph, I suspect it is operating as designed. Why they changed this from 130mph or when they changed it (apparently mid-year 2006) are not obvious. But to me it changed it from an error to a design setting. I think you or the dealer need to call the Cadillac help line and ask them what it is supposed to be set to. My impression from seeing that some other cars are limited to 123mph is that this is GM's version of 130mph for whatever reason this year.

My CTS may have the same limit; the 2004 I know went to 130mph but I have not tried with the 2005. Perhaps the 2006 models have a different limit.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Maybe a switch to the 124MPH U-Rated tires? :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

After you said that the message on the DIC actually says that the speed is limited to 123mph, I suspect it is operating as designed. Why they changed this from 130mph or when they changed it (apparently mid-year 2006) are not obvious. But to me it changed it from an error to a design setting. I think you or the dealer need to call the Cadillac help line and ask them what it is supposed to be set to. My impression from seeing that some other cars are limited to 123mph is that this is GM's version of 130mph for whatever reason this year.

My CTS may have the same limit; the 2004 I know went to 130mph but I have not tried with the 2005. Perhaps the 2006 models have a different limit.

I suspect you are right. The 1st DTS was built October of '05. This one was built June of '06. Anything could have changed in that time frame.

I may try the computer thing with the service manager and if no answers from that, be satisfied with what I have and just forget about the whole thing. It isn't worth the hassle and aggravation. :)

After all, I "DO" have a very nice Cadillac. It looks good, drives good, runs good Etc ... Etc. That should be enough. :)

Posted Image

Archived