CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DIY AC recharge

terrylange

It was actually warm enough today for the AC to kick in on my car, and much to my surprise, the fan motor remained on high speed blowing warm air out the vents, trying to cool the car. There are no messages on the instrument cluster, and strangely enought, no codes, either. The compressor was running. I bought one of those 13 oz cans of R135A refrigerant from Auto Zone, and put it into the system. Now I have cold air on the passenger side of the car, but still warm on the driver's side. I seem to recall reading on here a few months ago (when I didn't need the information) that refrigerant will sometimes get low without setting a code, and that the first sign is a variation in temp between the left and right side of the car. Should I pump a second can into it tomorrow? The first can still seems to be about a third full, but I left it hooked up for 15 minutes, and it didn't drain anymore, or for that matter, change the ac air temp any further. Thanks for any suggestions. The car, by the way, has 105K on it.

I recall that a sign of low refrigerant is differential cooling and would normally say add another can, but since the system only holds about 2 lbs. I would be Leary. You should have nothing left in the can. Did you hold it upside down to empty it? I also find it very strange that you had no cooling at all AND no low refrigerant message or DTCs. See what our resident A/C expert (Kevin) has to say.

Archived