CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 Northstar on Ebay?

PAUL T

I saw this parts car on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-CADILL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ad says it is a 94 Concours with a Northstar. VIN idicates it is a 94 base Deville with a 4.9. Picture shows maybe a 95 or up Northstar, definatly not a 94 Northstar. Body pictures look like it is a Concours. It looks like engine and tranny were changed at one time or another. Mileage would be unknown. $800 for a "good" Northstar would not be too bad though.

The '94 DeVille Concours used the 270hp Northstar. The pictures seem to support that.

I seem to recall, however, that the plug wires did NOT traverse the intake manifold in '93 and '94. Rather, they went around the engine block. Curious. Not enough bolts on that "Beauty Cover" either (I think). Hmnn.

As always, I could be wrong.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The beauty cover is not the same as my '94 which has 6 bolts, and the "Northstar 32 Valve" label is not part of the cover. It's a separate part that is gold in color and slides under the cover and is kept in place once the cover is torqued.

Those wheels came standard on a '97 Concours. They may have been available earlier as well. If I had to guess from the photos, it's either a '95 or '96 DeVille Concours. It is possible the engine could have been changed and later wheels added. It's also possible the VIN is incorrect. Either way, even for a "bad" Northstar, 800 bucks for a rebuildable block and rest of the car is probably not a bad deal, if someone had room at his house or garage.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

A lot of red flags here. The VIN is for a 1994 base DeVille. The description says a Concours. The engine in the photos is a 1995-1999, unlikely in a 1994 model year car because it's not a drop-in replacement. The VIN engine digit is B, which is a 4.9, not a Northstar.

The seller is apparently a wrecking yard that is using eBay to sell complete cars as parts cars. The background for the photo seems to bear that out. As such, a discrepancy of this sort is not a deal-killer but I wouldn't bid without calling and resolving the fact that the VIN number given is NOT the one for the car pictured, and getting the correct VIN.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I emailed the guy pointing out the mistakes. His reply was "ok".

What a helpful explanation!

Would you buy a used car from this man? I hope not.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Here's a '94 Northstar--filthy though--also being sold on ebay for $500. Also, I was wrong--There are eight beauty cover bolts, not 6. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but you are wrongerer than you think: on the '93 and '94 engines it was *NOT* a "beauty cover."

Just having some fun at your expense. Apologies. :unsure:

Regards,

Warren :)

Posted Image

All,

I thought those plug wire routings looked odd in the picture for the $800 car. Can you imagine how well it really ran or if the heater moter etdc was even operable?

The $500 engine looked more familar (yes even to the grime). I have plucked many a tumbleweed stem and even small rocks from gravel roads off the engine etc.

Now, before you get to hollerin and all - even the Guru noted that a grimy engine is a badge of honor of sorts. Such that I might not raise the hood for several months (it might use a quart or so in 4-5,000-miles, and I think most of that drips out the halfcase at times).

And yeas, one of these years I'll have to get after the mouse holes and consider a fuel rail replacement (is it '94 in that infamous recall group) - all that fun stuff.

However, I sorta go by that "If it ain't broke...", you know lazy by decree.

Later, :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived