CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 DeVille break job

Tomsrig

Hi, all,

I think I need to have my breaks looked at. I am beginning to hear a small squealing sound 1 out of about 50 times a while stepping on the breaks.

My driving habits are that I do not "jump" on the breaks every time I stop.

I would do this repair myself but don't have the tools or the time right at this moment.

My dealer said he charges $325.00 to replace the pads, + turn the drums. That's it.

I called "Just Breaks" and they want $99.00 to do the same.

None of them blead the break fluid and put new fluid in unless you pay about another $40.00.

For those who have had to have a break job done, what parts do you really need to bring your breaking system up to excellent shape? And how can I tell if I'm getting a good job done.

My car has 113,000 miles on it and I think I had the break pads replaced around 50,000 miles.

Any recommendations are most appreciated.

Tom

If it only squeals ocassionally then it might be just brake dust. Check each pad to ensure 1/8" or more pad is left and keep driving. A good brake job includes pads all around and turn rotors or replace rotors and bleed or flush break lines. If brake pad wear is uneven then calpiers should be checked. rubber hose should be inspected for signs of wear/weakness. Do not let anyone retract the calipers without opening the bleed screws. This pushes trash back into the abs pump and can cause it to malfunction $$$$$$.

HTH

John

For that kind of cash, the dealer better be replacing the caliper bushings and bleeding the brakes that is part of a good brake job..I would be stunned if the dealer is not including those components..

Is this a 4 wheel brake job? The manual actually states that turning the rotors is not necessary. I always turn them however to give the new brakes a flat non directional surface to mate to..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Heck....the dealer wanted just under $1000 bucks to do a front

brake job on my dads 13k miles 03 s-10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pads, rotors, bearing repack etc.

Dealers are scared about liability and replace everything !

Of course this is the 3rd set of front brakes in 13k miles!

No more under warranty tho.........................

His problem is that he rides the brake pedal and gets pissed

when you bust on him about it !!!!!!!!!!!!

But yet again no wonder he fries the rotors and pads !!!!!!!!

He had 2 s-10s before this one and they are all the same but

this is the 1st with problematic brake issues................

The aging of America I guess!

His solution???????????

Buy a Dodge dakota !........LOL!!!!!..............geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Archived